Unbreakable Heart

Začít od začátku

I sighed, my body tense as I grabbed the door handle. "C-Caiden?" I said, cracking the door open just enough for my hand to fit through it.

"Yes," he said, the bed squeaking as if he'd jumped to his feet after sitting on it.

My heart thumped so hard against my chest that I feared it might break free from its cage. "I—" I swallowed dryly. "I forgot my bag. Could you— Could you please get it for me?"

"Your bag?" Caiden said, the confusion in his voice clawing at my frenzied mind.

"Y-yes," I stuttered, shifting my weight to the other foot. "Could you please bring it to me? I think it's by the door."

Caiden didn't answer me, and although he was probably scanning the room to search for the bag that I'd referred to, the minutes that passed felt like an unbearable eternity.

I clenched my fingers tighter around the edge of the towel I'd wrapped around my body. "Please, Caiden. I don't have anything to wear here."

My face flushed as I realized what I'd bluntly admitted with those words.

"Nothing to—"

I couldn't see Caiden's face, and I didn't dare imagine the expression forming. Then my eyes caught sight of the bag I'd asked him to retrieve for me.

Caiden apparently hadn't moved from the bed yet, and I was starting to get cold.

"Nevermind," I said, taking a deep breath to gather the needed courage to do what I intended. "Just look away, and I'll get it myself."

I pushed the door further open to let myself out at the same moment that Caiden muttered something I couldn't understand. However, my mission was in motion, and I'd already stepped forward to reach for the bag.

Caiden seemed to have finally identified its whereabouts as well, and I'd apparently not been loud enough for him to hear my latest word.

"Wait, Caiden!" I said, but it was too late.

His body slammed into mine, throwing me off balance. However, just before I collided with the floor, Caiden wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer.

I groaned, my cheek resting against something warm and soft. I hadn't landed on the floor, but my heart debated whether this was better or worse.

"Are you okay?" Caiden said, groaning in pain after having absorbed the fall for me.

My tongue refused to speak.

Caiden hadn't dressed in more than a pair of sweatpants. His feet were still bare, and so was his torso, which my naked shoulders and arm were currently pressed against.

"W-wait, Caiden," I gasped when he moved to get us up.

He stilled when I buried my nails into his bare chest, and I pressed my face closer to his chest.

One of his legs had managed to fall between mine; if he lifted it, my towel would ride up further than I would allow. "Stay still. M-my towel..."

I could say the last words, embarrassed beyond words.

"S-sorry," Caiden said, one of his hands letting go of my arms to raise it to his face.

I reluctantly looked up to see what he was doing when my heart stumbled in surprise. He was covering his eyes, yet his hands weren't large enough to also cover the cheeks that almost matched the color of his eyes.

"I won't look or move until you tell me to," he said, releasing me entirely to raise his other hand in surrender.

If my face could turn entirely into gold, I was sure it would've happened by now. "T-thank you," I said, slowly moving without taking my eyes off his face.