Masquerade of Deception

"Raina," Art said, spreading his arms as we approached the cloaked woman widely known as the Inferno Queen.

Careful not to let the omnivorous flame touch her uncle as she threw her arms around his neck.

"Thank you for accepting my proposal," Art said as Raina eased the pressure around his body. She must be stronger than her frail body appears. "Your help will be greatly appreciated. This mission wouldn't be possible without it."

"What we do for family, right?" Raina said, chuckling as if her role in this game was child play.

So, it was true. Art was her real uncle. She was King Alaric's illegitimate daughter and Caiden's older sister.

"Is it true?"

Eos stepped forward, her trembling body disturbing the air beside me.

"Are you... Are you really our sister?" she asked, hesitantly forcing the words past her stiff lips.

Raina tilted her body sideways to look past Art's obstructing frame to view Eos clearly. Then a warm smile formed on her honey-colored face. "I am," Raina said, bringing her index finger to her lips while winking one eye at Eos. "But remember that no one else can—"

Eos leaped forward, throwing her arms around Raina's neck, causing Raina to drop her torch. "I've always wanted a sister!" she exclaimed, her voice pitched as if tears were soaking her cheeks.

"Oh, Eos," Raina said, returning her hug with glazed eyes. "I would love for nothing more than to be considered your sister."

Alia chuckled behind me as she intensified the glowing orb to engulf everyone in her light. "Seems like Eos has finally found what she couldn't find in me."

A sister... I guess not even Piper and I would have sufficed to fill that empty hole in her chest.

"Atlas," Raina suddenly said when Eos finally let go of her.

Caiden hadn't said a sound since Raina had appeared. Instead, he had remained in the background, making himself invisible — just not invisible enough.

Raina cautiously stepped toward the stiff shadow behind me. "I realize that my truth may affect your heart more than anyone who may share our blood. However, I'd like to make it abundantly clear that I have no desire to associate with our father or inherit the golden throne. Your legacy is safe, and my truth will be known to no one but the people in these tunnels."

Caiden wasn't looking at her, his jaw tight and hands curled into fists. My brows knitted as I noticed his left cheek sucked inward and wedged between his teeth.

"It wouldn't matter anyway," Caiden suddenly said, creases forming on his brow. "We have betrayed the golden throne, and I can no longer justly consider myself heir to the throne I have forsaken. I made a decision that I truly believe is in the best interest of Heliac and the woman I love. Your truth will remain unspoken by my lips, but I need the truth spoken from my father's lips before I can truly consider you family. I hope you can understand that."

Caiden....

"Of course," Raina said, her smile as gentle as her eyes. "I acknowledge your sacrifices and wish you luck discovering what powers have gifted your loved one with blood as precious as her heart."

I held my breath as Raina's dark eyes shifted to my rigid body. So, Art had told her about my blood. He must really trust her.

"Wildcard," Raina said, stepping toward me to lean closer to my ear. "I'm happy to see you have finally acknowledged your affection for my brother."

My face became burning hot. "That— That's not—"

Then something soft pressed against my hip, and my words of defense faded from my tongue. "Y-your stomach," I whispered before a memory from Caiden's birthday party grazed my mind. Raina was pregnant.