Truths of the Past

My feet couldn't run fast enough.

Art had summoned me. He was finally ready to talk.

I'd convinced Caiden to use the tunnels while I ran along the open halls. That way, we wouldn't be seen together, and no one would suspect a thing.

Breathless and determined, I rounded the next corner.

"Miss Aldwyn!"

My eyes widened, and my instincts took over. Inches before my body collided with Evie's, I jumped, leaving the air to lift me high enough to dodge her if she was twice her current height.

I landed on my feet behind her, but the damned heel snapped, and I tumbled backward anyway.

"Cursed blood," I hissed, untying the shoe. I didn't have time to walk back and get a new pair.

"Willow Aldwyn!"

I stiffened as I remembered who I'd nearly run into.

Holding my breath, I slowly twisted my head to glimpse her boiling face. She was mad. Terrifyingly mad.

"Evie," I said, forcing a crooked smile as I got up to dust off my dress. "What brings you here?"

Evie had left the castle in tears the same day Alia went home after the Crown Trials. I hadn't heard from her since, and I had no idea what she was doing here now.

"In what realm do you believe it appropriate for a future princess to run through halls like that?" Evie shouted, raising her finger as she stepped closer to me. "Have you forgotten everything I taught you about the royal life?"

I stepped back, stuttering unrecognizable sounds as I desperately thought of an excuse Evie would accept.

"I— um..." I said but instantly determined that a lie would probably be an even worse excuse than the truth.

"Master Arthur summoned me," I admitted, dropping my shoulders in frustration and avoiding her piercing gaze. "I haven't heard from him in almost two weeks, and I guess I got too excited."

Evie scuffed. "I see the king was right in summoning me."

I looked up, my eyes wide as I realized why she was here. "You're here because of the weddings?" I asked, nearly stumbling over my shoes still lying behind me.

Evie nodded, her frown growing more profound. "I am here to prepare Miss Weldon and yourself for the wedding, yes. And I certainly do not hope Miss Weldon has forgotten her manners the same as you; otherwise, I'm afraid one week might not be enough time to correct your relapse."

Had she forgotten that Piper used to be worse than me when we weren't attending classes or presented in front of a camera?

Evie's gaze scanned me from top to toe and then back up again.

"Miss Aldwyn." Evie sighed, defeated, and she stepped closer.

"Straighten your back," she said, poking the muscle between my shoulder blades to rectify my posture. "Shoulders back, chin up, and... untangle those fingers!"

She slapped my hands, and I immediately separated my interlocked fingers.

She was so much meaner than I remembered her.

"And where are your shoes?" Evie asked, looking at my naked feet.

I looked behind me without saying a word. Evie sighed again when she noticed the broken heel.

"What will happen to you girls without me?" she groaned, rubbing her sore temples.

My cheeks would usually have turned pale blue by now, but I guess they matched the color of my skin better now than before. I just hoped Evie wouldn't notice.