XLIV

LILLY

LILLY

Carter took over the mafia a week ago. And it has been a very suffocating week for us. He doesn't talk much and he does not eat. He comes home after I sleep, holds me in bed, and then leaves before I wake up. He's so damn stealthy that I don't notice when he comes and goes.

Carter was getting scarier to me day by day. The pressure of the mafia work was getting to him. His face said it all. He looked like he got older by ten years instantly. Got a new haircut, and I can't help but see his father's reflection in his eyes now.
The suits, the hair, the way he talked and walked, the way he dealt, the way he was too deep into all of this- a spitting image of Rafael Romano. He doesn't wear his chain or bracelet anymore. Just his thorn ring on his ring finger, the same as mine.

I get drowsy as I wait for him on the stairs. I had to do this. I had to wake up just to see him and touch him properly at least once. I was going crazy without him. I wanted him to talk to me. I wanted him to tell me what was going on inside his head but he shut me out completely.

It's always two steps forward and three steps back with him.

The corner where we lived in the mansion didn't feel private anymore because of the new security cameras and the new thick door with a passcode lock. There were cameras every there except our bedroom and the bathroom. He got them installed the next day he sat in his father's seat. They say everything changed. I tried to talk him out of it many times but the stubborn man doesn't listen. He doesn't even calm me down when I stress about worrying all day long.

He hardly holds me or kisses me anymore.

I almost drift and then I hear the chime of the passcode being accepted. He walks in. It was dark everywhere except for the dim kitchen light above the island.
He stops, takes a deep breath, and sighs as he takes his jacket off, "Why are you up?" I knew I was perfectly hidden in the shadows but somehow he still knows.

He neatly drapes his jacket over the back of the couch and rolls his sleeves up, "I asked you a question, Lilly." The tone in his voice makes my heart speed fast. I swallow and ask, "H-how did you know?" He doesn't smirk, he doesn't smile, he doesn't even look at me as he says, "Why are you up?"

"I-I was waiting for y-you."

"Did you eat?"

"No."

I don't miss the tick of his jaw and I don't miss how his fists form tightly. He bites, "Why not?" There's this pointless anger inside him these days. He's angry about the littlest thing.
No, he doesn't lash out. Or use physical force. Or scream or yell. Nothing like that. Just that tone- his voice gets lower and his tone gets sharper.

I shrug, "I wanted to eat with you." He unbuttons the top three buttons of his shirt and says, "You know you shouldn't do this. You should've eaten and then been in bed. I should come home to you sleeping, not waiting for me for no reason."