14. The Big Question

Start from the beginning

It can not mean Benedict and I are bound to get married this season as well, right? Though it is not the worst thing to happen, it is at this very moment where I know I am not ready for it just yet.

"Oh, I think Augie's hungry." The Duchess says. "Excuse us."

And with that, Simon and Daphne both head inside with their child.

Knowing Simon, it is very strange to see him as a true family man. Honestly, he is the last person I imagined to ever marry- and be happy about it. As kids, I've seen him go through a lot, especially with the issues he had with his speech and his father. I am genuinely glad he has found the love he lacked in his life.

"Miss Griffiths," Kate calls. "Are you familiar with the game pall mall?"

"Now the rules are simple, Miss Griffiths. To win, you must be the first to hit your ball through each wicket and–"

"I do not think I am in need of an explanation for this game, Mr. Bridgerton." I say to Benedict who seems surprised at my cockiness.

To be truthful, I grew up playing pall mall when I was younger at the Danbury household. Alongside Simon, in fact. He never admitted it, but I beat him most of the time.

"As our special guest, you may pick your mallet first, Miss Griffiths." Colin announces.

Without even thinking about it for a second, I take the blue one. "No pink for the lady?" Benedict asks to infuriate me, but I know he only does it to affect my game.

"What about you? Wouldn't you rather be inside and doodle a bunch of disfigured hands?" I respond, causing a few to chuckle. Even Benedict seems entertained.

"Love her." I hear Eloise mutter to Kate behind me.

Everyone has picked their own mallet so we can finally begin the game.

"You go first, Miss Griffiths." The Viscount tells me.

Oh, I hope I still got it. The last time I played was before I left for New York.

Swinging my mallet, I hit it against the ball straight through the first wicket thus causing everyone to applaud. "Excellent shot, Miss Griffiths!" Colin compliments.

I make eye contact with Benedict who only grins at me proudly. "Alright, your turn, brother." Benedict tells Anthony.

It has been almost an hour I believe, and Benedict and I are tied to the last wicket with our balls next to each other. Surprisingly, the viscount and Kate are both out and headed inside to take care of a certain business.

...whatever that means.

It is my turn and I have two choices; either take the opportunity to get my ball through the last wicket or knock Benedict's ball far away.

If I attempt to get it through the last wicket and miss it, Benedict might be able to knock mine even further.

"Scared of losing, Miss Griffiths?" Benedict asks with a raised eyebrow.

I do not know whether his cocky remarks are utterly infuriating or very pleasant, but whatever it is out of the two, I enjoy seeing him this way; Careless from worries.

"Definitely not." I respond confidently before effortlessly hitting my ball straight through the final wicket, causing everyone to cheer.

"What a wonderful game!" Colin says. "Now, let us head back and get some rest before dinner."