Chapter 11: Maasi?

Začít od začátku

I rolled my eyes internally. Kaka sa sighed tiredly.

"That innocent soul is suffering lot. God knows when he's going to smile again after your departure." Kaka sa muttered sadly, subtly hinting Kaki Sa that he was actually happy around me.

"I'll take my leave." I said and departed towards my room. Freshening up and changing into a pair of cotton pajamas, I was surprised to see Vedansh waiting at the door.

He was only 10 and knew not to enter someone's room when they weren't present. I was actually astonished at the how good at parenting Aditya really was. Or Arun. Or whatever his name is.

"Come in, sweetheart. You can get in even at my absence. Okay?" I said as I ushered him in.

"Once I got into mom's room without asking her. That was a dreadful day. I don't want to witness that again." He shrugged.

"You know, I never liked your mom." I told him, settling down on the floor. He followed my lead.

"Why?" He asked me.

"Let's say, she hurt me lot. Emotionally, I mean. Also, somehow, I was jealous of her throughout my life. She was everything I am not." I admitted honestly. It was good to have someone to whom I could say everything out loud. Even though he is her son.

"Hmm.. I can totally relate. I never liked her too." He mumbled softly.

"Wait a minute. How did you know my mother?" He asked me. I smiled softly at him.

"She was my sibling, sweetheart. I know her even longer than you." I said as I paired the television with my phone to binge watch something.

"Wow! So you're my.. maasi?" He asked. I cringed at it.

(Maternal Aunt, Mom's sister)

"Geez. Sounds wierd. I never accepted her as my sister. She didn't act like one. So, no maasi." I said biting on the butterscotch ice-cream.

"Well you know, maasi is like maa-si? Maa like?" He pointed out. I froze. "No wonder you're so cool. Maasi are ought to be cool."

"Shh.. don't strain your little brain. I'll accept you calling me Angel anyday rather than being called Maasi. Do I even look like an aunt?" I asked him. His eyes twinkled mischievously.

"You're around my friend's mom's age and I call her Aunty. So yeah.." He said. I rolled my eyes and smacked his head with the remote, lightly.

"Disney movie marathon?" I asked him. "Eww. I am not going to watch princesses with you. Come on Angel, I expect better from you." He mocked me.

My mind drifted to the time his father used to say that. My Adi.

"Hey, how about a disney marathon?" I asked him excitedly.

"Eww, Kriti. Who wants to watch princesses twirling in gowns with their lips plucked out, being desperate for the prince to kiss them. Come on Kriti, I expect better from you!" He made a disgusting face making me laugh heard.

Indeed, princess wants his prince to kiss her desperately. I brushed off the thoughts.

"Disney is not always about princesses, sweetheart. There are many other awesome movies! Wait and watch!" I said, clicking on Coco.

As the movie progressed and Miguel sang Poco Loco.. I could see Vedansh smile from the corner of my eyes. We spent the evening with our eyes glued to the screen when a knock at the door disturbed us. The door opened to reveal Rani Sa. She asked us to have dinner and not fill our stomachs with ice-creams. She scoffed when she saw our position on the floor. I could careless at her judgment.

After dinner, we decided to go for another Disney movie and it was Up this time.

In no time, the lethargy weighed upon my eyes making me drift off to sleep. Vedansh followed the suit in no time with the TV still on and us on the floor with him cuddled up against my chest. He felt tiny and warm.

I was still in a light sleep when I heard the door open. Must be Lady don checking up on us. I thought. But when a familiar scent of perfume entered my nostrils, I shivered.

Slowly, I felt Vedansh being snatched away from me. Ofcourse, why would he want his son to sleep with me. Especially after my hostile behaviour today.

But then, I felt a pair of hands sneaking under my knees too. My heart thudded. I couldn't be more offended on my reflexes than what I was at that moment.

As soon as I felt like I was in the air, a squeal left my mouth. I was forced to open my eyes. He froze as my balck orbs connected with his brown ones.

This was the moment I dreaded the most. I knew I had to look into his eyes some day. The same pair of eyes I fell in love for. But I didn't expect this moment to be like this, while I was in his arms with him frozen and me dangling in the air.

As our trance broke, he slowly put me down on the bed. He cleared his throat and rubbed his palm awkwardly. I squeezed my legs closer to my body as my back rested on the headrest. I closed my eyes to digest the fact that it was happening.

After 10 freaking years, he was standing right in front of me. What should I do? Ignore him and get into the covers? Start crying and satisfy his ego? Get up and slap him hard? Start shouting at him and let the whole Palace know how tainted his heart was? Give him a chance to explain?

I took a deep breath and turned my head towards Vedansh. I couldn't do anything while his sleep was still fresh.

All this while, he stood there looking at me. I felt small under his intense gaze. I mustered up courage to look at him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked with my volume just a level more than whisper. He opened his mouth to reply then closed it. He kept contemplating his answer.

"I wanted to check on Vedansh.." he muttered lowly. I nodded and chose to remain silent. I didn't have the patience to talk to him right now.

"Kriti I-"

"Good night, Jiju." My voice was heavier than intended. I sat their watch his eyes glisten.

(Brother in law)

Exact definition of crocodile tears.

"Good night." I repeated looking dead into his eyes. I had not an ounce of water in my eyes.
~•~•~

I am having my exams in a few days! Wish me luck, babies!

Comment Goal for next chapter: 10 comments. Pretty easy, right?

Do vote and comment!