Since everyone was distracted, they paid little attention to their surroundings and he was able to escape without a hitch. He immediately journeyed towards the empty shack he had been hiding in for over a week. There he found Fleurie waiting for him.

     "Did you do it?" She asked the moment he walked in, rising to her feet, her face hidden in a cloak.

    "Yes. The palace was in turmoil when I left." He replied, glancing at her. He watched as she broke into a grin, a satisfied look crossing her features.

     "Good, now we just have to wait for the good news." She replied. He nodded,

    "I'll be taking my leave now." She said brusquely, making to leave. Nicholas watched her, stunned.

    "That's all?" He asked, stopping in her tracks. She turned to look at him, an empty look in her eyes.

    "Well, I'll let you know if anything comes up. That's all I wanted from you anyway." She said before walking out of the shack. He watched her, a weird feeling prickling at his heart. He isn't satisfied with the way he poisoned the king but this will have to do for now. At least, he's fufilled his objective. Revenge.

    " We'll meet again soon." She mumbled as she reached the door before walking out of it. Nicholas felt odd as he watched her retreating figure. Did she just use him to fufill her objectives?  
.
.
.
     The doctors finally arrived and Dexter got his treatment. Maya stayed throughout, watching as they fussed over him, not daring to leave his side. Dexter had managed to stay awake despite the excruciating pain. At one point, he'd begun to spit out blood. The second treatment was administered and an antidote was given to him, he'd gone unconscious.

      According to the doctor,  The king had narrowly escaped death but his body has been grossly weakened by the posion that's why he fell unconscious.

     " It's all thanks to your proactiveness, your majesty." The doctor turned to Maya after he had finished checking up on the king. " If you hadn't used those herbs when you did, we may have never been able to save the king. The posion he ingested was a deadly one. A single drop could be dangerous." He stated, his voice somber.

      Maya just stared at him, a blank look on her face. " Will he be alright now?" She asked, her voice devoid of all emotions.

     " Yes he will, he just needs to recover from this. For now he's still he unconscious." He answered. "I have let some herbs and potions to be given to him once he wakes up. I'll come to check him from time to time." He added.

     "Okay. Thanks for your help. You're dismissed." Maya said quietly. The doctor bowed and walked out of the chambers, leaving her alone with Rosa. She walked up to the bed, watching Dexter's pale face and laboured breathing. Something heavy settled in her heart, making it hard to breath.

     "You should have some rest your majesty, I'll take care of the king." Rosa offered but Maya shook her head, adamant.

     "I'll take care of him myself. You should call on the commander." She said instead, not removing her eyes from Dexter.

       She heard the older maid sigh, " Yes, your majesty."

    Geoffrey walked into the chambers, bowing immediately. "I heard what happened, I'm truly sorry your majesty. Will the king be alright?" He asked, worry evident in his voice.

      "He'll live." Was her simple answer. Geoffrey looked relieved but it wasn't over just yet.

    "Have you found out who's responsible for this?" Maya asked, her hands behind her back.

    "No, your majesty. But investigations are ongoing."

    Maya turned, pinning Geoffrey a glare. He darted his gaze to the ground, unnerved.

   "Was there anyone who came to see the king today?" She asked, her voice cold.

   "None your majesty, Except..." He trailed off, his eyes slowly widening.

    Maya cocked a brow, carefully regarding him. " Except what?'

    "Um... The king received a letter from princess Fleurie, along with some gifts, your majesty." Geoffrey explained, his gaze still on the ground. Silence fell and the air in the chambers grew heavy with tension.

    "Let me see it."

    "Right away, your majesty." Geoffrey answered, hurrying out of the chambers.

   Dexter shifted in his sleep, clearly uncomfortable. Maya felt her anger rise. She clenched her fists. Geoffrey arrived with the letter and Maya read through it. It's just an apology letter, she noted.

    "You said she brought gifts?" She asked, glancing at Geoffrey.

   "Yes, your majesty." He answered.

   "Where are they?"

   "The king asked us to burn it but we're yet to." He informed her.

    "Let me see what she brought."

   Geoffrey led her to the pile of gifts she had brought to the palace. One by one, she started to go through all of them until she found one that looked out of place. She paused in her search, her gaze darkening.

   "No one has touched the gifts yet, have they?" She asked, glancing at him.

    "None your majesty."

    "Then why is this one open? " She asked, folding her hands. She stood for a while, thinking it through. " It's big enough to hide a person too." She muttered to herself, going over it once more. Maya chuckled to herself as it dawned on her. She must've sneaked someone to the palace to do this. That bitch, Maya muttered underneath her breath, her blood boiling.

    She took a step back, staring ahead with cold, unfeeling eyes. In a monotonous voice she stated her order.  "Find Fleurie. Make sure to capture her alive. Do it immediately."

    "Yes, your majesty." Geoffrey replied, hurrying out of the storeroom where the gifts where kept. Maya still stayed there long after Geoffrey, thoughts swirling in her head. Fleurie tried to kill Dexter. A cynical smile split her lips. This time around, she's crossed a line.

       She's never letting this go. Ever.

Let me know your thoughts!!
See you in the next chapter 🙈🙈🙈!