Chapter 23

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Gun's POV

I was drying up the dishes that I had unloaded from the dishwasher when my phone rang.

My heart started to beat erratically upon recognizing the special ring tone that I had assigned to Pond.

I set down the tall glass that I had been wiping dry with my kitchen towel and pulled out my phone from my pocket.

I stared at the screen unable to decide whether to take his call or not.

After the third ring, when it started to ring for the fourth time, I swiped the screen.

"Hello," I said, hating myself for sounding breathless.

"Hello, Gun?" the sound of Pond's voice made my heart flutter as it always did.

"Yes," I replied, trying to keep my voice calm and nonchalant.

"Gun," he said, and hesitated just very briefly before he continued talking. "I know that this should be said to you face to face, but I believe that it's best not to wait until I get the chance to meet up with you. I believe it's best that I say it to you now."

"So say it," I challenged him. 

My heart was in my throat now, my instinct telling me that I was about to hear something that would make my world go crumbling down in irretrievable pieces.

Another brief moment of hesitation. I could actually hear Pond swallowing hard at the other end.

"I think it's time for us to officially end our relationship." he said.

And just like that, I was without a boyfriend.

I held on to the edge of the kitchen counter for support because my knees were starting to shake, unable to hold up my weight.

It was my turn to hesitate, just very briefly before I said, "I agree. We should end our relationship."

Without waiting for him to say goodbye I ended the call by tapping on the red phone icon on my screen.

Wait, did I just make a mistake? A huge mistake?

Should I have pleaded to him to give ourselves another chance?

Had I been too hasty in agreeing with his decision to end our relationship?

I pulled out my phone from my pocket once more.

I wasn't actually ready to end my relationship with Pond just like that.

My heart was in my throat once more when I heard the ringing start on the other end.

Pick up, pick up, pick up, Pond, I urged silently as I heard the ringing go on and on endlessly until I heard the automated voice asking me to leave a message on his voice mail.

I tapped on the red phone icon, not wanting to leave any message.

Shit, I was drying my eyes with the kitchen towel instead of using it to dry my drinking glass.

I almost jumped when my phone started to ring. But it was a generic ring. It wasn't Pond calling me back.

I swiped on the screen, not caring whether the caller was a telemarketer or a scammer. I could always cut the call if it was one of those.

"Gun?"

"Mark???"