Trial and Co. - Part 16

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I am glad to see all of you. The rest of your friends are already inside. The trial has begun, but," he paused, his happy expression dropping slightly, "some of the nobles still made it. My father is still here, as well as Rook and Zacharias. But Tarquin and Isadora made it too. There is no more coming, but prepare yourselves for quite the hard word against you all." With that, Harold led the way down a hallway and pushed the doors of the courtroom open.

A warm welcome they were greeted with by Verity, Arthur and Rowan indeed, as they expected. Also expected, but also slightly amusing, to Fletcher, was Rook's growling and the twins' hissing. The groups took their seats. Harold cleared his throat.

"Let the voting commence. All in favour of opposing the law, raise a hand and rise." Harold sat down to frame his opinion. His father gawped as he himself stood, as well as the twins, Zacharias, and Rook. Isadora gasped as Verity stayed in her seat, her arm underneath the table.

"You choose those wretches over us?" She cried, sounding slightly hurt. Shaking, Verity nodded. Meanwhile, Tarquin's gaze of fire blazed into Malik.

"You fucking blood traitor," he spat, "I hope you fucking rot!" Malik just raised his chin higher in response. Harold commanded them to sit again. Seething, the nobles did so.

"Now, all in favour of approving the law, raise a hand and rise." Smiling, Harold stood and raised a hand, the other smoothing his clothes. Sylva, not being of noble blood, stood by Arcturus, but smiled nonetheless, as did Arcturus. In unison, Malik, Verity, Finn, Rowan and Arthur, Seraph, Elaine and Fletcher rose themselves and a hand. Alfric's face turned expressionless, and Rook's turned red.

"Fantastic," Harold declared. "Now, let us see the public vote." He beckoned a servant over and told him to release the vote. Running off, the nobles rose.

"We shall meet here again in two hours." Harold said. Taking their leave, Fletcher and his team left with Harold, abandoning the nobles biting their teeth in the courtroom. Harold laughed in uncontrolled and unchecked joy, surprising everyone.

"I am glad this was the act of defiance to let my father know that I am against him. In two hours' time, you all will be free again. Let us go to the Anvil."

Once there, they were met with Cress, Uhtred, Othello and Briss. They wordlessly handed drinks out to them, rubbing shoulders supportively. To fletcher, an arm around Sylva's waist, those two hours flew by, along with a few mugs of beer. He was alerted of the leaving time when Arcturus held his shoulder and quietly said "time to go". Fletcher was hardly paying attention until they were back in the courtroom, and being pushed by his shoulders into his chair. He met eyes with Tarquin immediately, snapping himself out of the haze. Tarquin's eyes held only hatred. Fletcher had to guess that he and the rest of the horrid nobles had tried everything in their power to reverse what was happening, but Fletcher put faith in Harold that whatever they did, it would be in vain. Harold clapped his hands once everyone was there and seated. The servant that had released the vote rushed in again, a piece of parchment in his hands. He gave it to Harold, who looked at it and smiled. He thanked the servant and sat down.

"The public vote is in. For opposition, 19% agree so. For approving, 81% put it so." Harold smiled again. "With the power in me, and the power of the Second Order, I declare inter-racial marriage and relationships legal, and declare that Seraph Pasha, Sylva Arkenia, Othello Thorsager and Fletcher Raleigh are no longer fugitives!" It was no longer than a second after Harold finished that Zacharias leapt up out of his seat with such force that it send the chair falling backwards.

"This is a fucking disgrace! You all call yourselves nobles?! You're bastard spawn from the drains. Fucking traitors!" he raged. The twins joined in after his father, cursing the day the 'traitors' were born. Rook said nothing, but spat at them, then strode out of the room. Alfric remained motionless and unchanged, until he looked upon his son. He still said nothing, but the intensity of his stare was felt across the room. He then looked at Fletcher.