24. Epilogue

5 years later....

As Alina sat on the beach with her six-month-old, sleeping daughter, Melody, in her arms, she watched the bright orange sun just about to hit the water on the horizon. During the day at the beach, she finally felt like she could relax and stare into the beautiful act of nature.

Sitting there, enjoying the summer weather, she closed her eyes to focus on the sound of the waves brushing against the rocks of the beach in Portsmouth. She could hear the sound of a football being kicked between Mason and their three-year-old son Aidan, and the giggles escaping their mouths.

She opened her eyes again, watching her two favorite boys do what they love most with the ocean behind them, mirroring the colors in the sky.

She sits there, thinking about the past. She remembers when she had just graduated from university and moved to London to find herself a job. It didn't go as planned; having to babysit while looking for a photography job was a routine she had to get used to for months.

That was until she met a special someone, who's not only her best friend but someone she can call her husband. He had given her the best memories from the moment they met.

One of her favorite memories was the day he proposed to her. It was on their second-year anniversary, the 11th of December 2023. He had bought tickets for London Eye at night. He didn't have training that day, and she didn't have work either. They had spent the whole day in each other's arms, neither letting go for hours, until it was time for Mason to do what he wanted to do months before then.

They drove to London Eye, a place she's always wanted to go to. She didn't suspect anything at all. She thought it was his gift for their anniversary.

They were at the very top, and she was talking about the beautiful view when she noticed he wasn't listening to her anymore. She turned around to see him on one knee, holding a box in his hands, skipping the whole speech, and asking her the main question.

Tears had fallen down her cheeks before she could answer his question. She nodded, not able to form any words; she completely ignored the ring and pulled him into a hug. He had let a few tears escape from his eyes too, knowing that he would spend the rest of his life with the woman he loves.

It was a perfect proposal—just the two of them, all alone with no cameras and no one else to ruin the moment, and the view of London surrounding them.

The wedding was just a few months later in the summer, a private one with only friends and family. There's not much to add to this memory; everything was perfect. It was the second-best day of her life, her kids' births being her best days.

She can't think about her kids' births without remembering the tough periods beforehand. Looking back, she remembers having a full bag of used pregnancy tests, all negative. It wasn't unknown to her and Mason that she would face difficulties and challenges after her thyroidectomy, the surgery that had once left her scared of the future.

With each negative result, she would tell herself that maybe this was a sign that she shouldn't have kids. She would never want to potentially pass on the cancer she was once diagnosed with to her kids. She started getting hesitant more and more, pushing Mason away, not wanting to disappoint and hurt him. But she knew him too well; he would never give up on her. Ever. What changed her mind?

"Mommy, I'm hungry," her thoughts were interrupted by Aidan.

"Look in the bag, baby, and take anything you want to eat," she carefully handed him the bag, making sure she didn't wake up Melody, who was still sleeping peacefully.