23. New Year's Eve

The time from Christmas Eve to New Year's Eve had been a time that Mason was able to spend with his favorite people. Not just with his family and his loving girlfriend, but also with his teammates.

He had managed to score a beautiful goal against Bournemouth at Stamford Bridge in the presence of his sister Stacey, who was there for the first time watching him play live. It was the perfect game to end the year with.

Despite today being New Year's Eve, everyone was having a busy day. Mason still had to spend half the day at training because he has a game tomorrow.

Stacey, Harry, and their kids had already flown back to Australia, Lewis had traveled to France, and the rest of his family had gone back to Portsmouth.

Alina didn't do much in the morning other than go for a walk and grocery shopping. The past week, she's been feeling a lot better; she still has a hoarse voice, but it's normal.

All of this meant that this New Year's Eve wasn't going to be like the one last year, and for Mason and Alina, that was ok, because as long as they're with each other, the day will be special enough.

———

"I'm home!" Alina heard Mason shout. He shut the front door as he took his shoes and jacket off.

"Hello," Alina walked up to him with a smile, hugging him and placing a kiss on his lips. He wrapped his arms around her waist, leaning into the kiss.

"How was training?" she asked, slowly pulling away from the hug to pick up his training bag to later wash the clothes inside.

"Same like always," he said, running his hand through his hair as he followed her to the laundry room.

"Hopefully you'll be able to sleep, though; god knows how long the fireworks will be exploding tonight," she giggled as she put the bag on the counter and opened it.

"I forgot about that," he chuckled. "It won't be the first time, though, so I'm used to it," he said, taking out the clothes he wanted her to wash.

She giggled at his response, taking the clothes and throwing them in the washing machine. He hugged her from behind, causing her to smile as she started the washing.

"What's with the hug? Everything ok?" She asked as she turned around to hug him properly.

"I just want to hug you," he shrugged, resting his chin on top of her head. She hugged him tighter, not questioning it; she wanted to hug him just as much.

"I can't wait for my New Year's kiss," he smiled, earning a chuckle from her.

"Me neither," she looked up at him, both leaning in for a quick kiss.

"How do you want to spend the last few hours of 2022 then?" She asked him curiously

"Hmm," he said, looking to the side, thinking. "Maybe cook dinner together, cuddle while watching the movie New Year's Eve, have a make-out session, and then go to the park to watch the fireworks like last year," he smiled, satisfied with his ideas.

Alina chuckled at his answer and nodded; "it sounds perfect," she said, placing another kiss on his lips.

———