14. One year anniversary

11th of December. Possibly the worst date to celebrate your one-year anniversary, especially after being knocked out of the World Cup yesterday.

It was a long night for many people; some still hadn't processed that England was out. Mason was full of regret; he felt like he didn't do enough and that he didn't get to prove himself to anyone. Sure, he gave England a pen, but he would've much rather been the one who scored a goal to help them get through.

He had woken up at camp today and felt bad because he knew it was his and Alina's one-year anniversary today, and he'd probably be in a mood all day instead of being happy and celebrate with her.

At least he gets to go home now, back to London with all of the boys and get some rest and process everything.

Alina and the others were on their way back home too. She wasn't thinking much about the anniversary; all she wants to do is hug Mason and tell him how much she loves him; nothing else matter right now.

———

After a long flight, Alina and Mason's family had arrived back in London. Alina had gone back home to her apartment after saying goodbye to the others at the airport.

As soon as she got back home she had to go check her throat and neck in the mirror because it's just getting worse. Her neck and the sore throat had caused a lot of pain. She quickly looked in the mirror, noticing how her throat has gotten swollen over the hours, she also notices a lump is starting to grow.

"What the hell is happening to me?" she mumbled as she touched it.

Her phone interrupted her; it was Mason who had sent her a message, asking if she could come. She smiled at the message and replied to him that she'd be there any minute.

She quickly put on another outfit, a warm one since it's cold in London. That was one thing she missed while being in Qatar—the cold.

On her way to see Mason, she bought him his favourite flowers for their anniversary, hoping it would cheer him up a little bit.

She walked in with the key she had; she didn't find him downstairs, so she walked upstairs, finding him in his bed.

She softly knocked on the door and walked in with a smile on her face. Mason looked up with a slight smile on his face as he saw her and the flowers in her hand.

"Happy anniversary," she said cheerfully as she walked over to him.

"Happy anniversary," he softly smiled. "This is probably the shittiest anniversary we're going to have," Mason chuckled as he hugged her.

"It doesn't matter; as long as I get to be with you, that's enough for me," she assured him.

"I missed you so much," Mason said, hugging her tighter.

"I missed you too, baby," she said as she leaned back from the hug and placed a kiss on his lips.

"Can we cuddle?" he asked. She giggled at his cuteness and nodded.

They both went under the covers in his bed after Alina had put the flowers in a vase. He rested his head on top of her chest, hugging her tight. One of her arms were wrapped around him, while she was using her hand on the other arm to stroke his hair.