16. Bad news

⚠️Mentions of cancer, surgery etc⚠️

A few days had passed since Alina had been tested with the biopsy. They had been told from the doctor that it usually takes days or weeks to get the results back, but since Alina was a priority, she got the results back today.

Since the biopsy, they had put pressure and a bandage applied to the area on her throat, where the procedure was, to decrease the risk of bleeding. She was feeling a bit better, but was still struggling with eating and just overall didn't have a lot of energy.

Her parents had come just three days ago from Canada, not leaving her side with Mason. Debbie, Tony, and Lewis had left to give some space, but call now and then to check up on her.

Mason was returning to training in about a week, but he assured Alina that he would cancel training if it was necessary, even though she told him not to. He's not going anywhere until he knows she's fully ok and stable.

———

The doctor had gotten the results from the biopsy test, and it didn't look good in their eyes. He walked in with the results in his hands, greeting everyone in the room.

The vibe in the room suddenly got tense, knowing that this was it. At this moment, they would find out if she actually has thyroid cancer or not.

"The results are back, and unfortunately, Alina, your thyroid lump is cancerous. But this allowed us to diagnose you with thyroid cancer and start with a plan, which is a good first step," the doctor began talking.

Despite knowing and feeling she had cancer, Alina's heart still sank at hearing those words. She looked at her mom, who had broken down crying, and her dad, who was comforting her. Mason felt numb; he didn't know what to say.

The doctor continued to talk, "we recommend a thyroidectomy to remove the thyroid gland and the lump on it. However, you're not in a race to remove it as soon as possible. You don't have the aggressive type of cancer, meaning it's not spreading as fast. This is your decision; you let me know what you want to do, we'll book a time for surgery if you decide to have one," the doctor said with a sympathetic smile. Alina nodded and weakly smiled back as a thank you.

When he left the room, everyone was quiet. Alina let out a deep breath, clearing her throat.

"I'm doing it," she said.

Everyone looked at her. "Are you sure about this, sweetheart?" her dad asked, standing up from his seat and walking over to the bed. Mason stroked her hand with his thumb, showing her support.

She nodded. "There's nothing else I can do," she shrugged. It wasn't like she didn't care; she was fully scared of surgery, but she didn't want to admit that. She doesn't want to scare her parents or Mason either.

"It's up to you," her mom walked over too, "we'll be here, always," she added, with a soft smile, wiping the tear that had fallen down. Alina smiled back at her mom and then turned her gaze to Mason.

"Like your mom said, we'll be right here," he told her with a weak smile, trying not to break down in front of her. This was difficult for him, to see her in so much pain and not able to do anything about it. All he could do was just hold her and tell her that everything would be ok.

"Thank you," she whispered as she caressed his cheek.

———

After deciding to have the surgery, they informed the doctor. As he had told them, she wasn't in a rush to do the surgery, but as soon as possible would be the best option.

He booked a time for the surgery, which would take place at the end of the week. They still want to keep her here at the hospital, even if she can go home. It's just to make sure that nothing happens suddenly and to also prepare her hours before the surgery.

It was already late at night, and everyone was tired. Alina's parents were out for some fresh air; they had just left and would be out for a few minutes to wake themselves up.

Alina looked over at Mason; he was sleeping on the couch next to her bed, and even with his eyes closed, she could notice his tiredness and how drained he looked. It made her feel so bad.

"Mase," she called his name, not too loudly.

"Mason," she called his name again. He didn't wake up still, she lifted her upper body to sit up, leaning down towards him, touching his hand. He quickly opened his eyes, standing up. "What's happening? Are you hurt?" he quickly asked as he noticed her sit up.

She chuckled at his worries but shook her head. "I'm ok," she said.

"What's up?" he let out a deep breathe, relieved nothing had happened to her. He took a seat on her bed, taking her hand.

"Maybe you should go home and get some rest," she caressed his cheek. "No, I want to be here," he said determined.

"Please, Mason, you won't get enough sleep here,"

"I won't get any sleep at all if I'm not with you," he looked at her.

"I won't be alone; my mom and dad are here. Just go home, take a nap, and when you wake up, make sure to get a shower and eat something; then you can come back tomorrow," she looked at him.

"Ali, I want to stay; don't worry about me."

"Do you love me?" she suddenly asked.

"Of course I do," he looked at her, confused as to why she would even ask that.

"Then do as I say and go home," she said.

"You can't do that," he pouted. He knows he can't refuse now that she's put their love on the line.

"I can call security and tell them that you're bothering me," she threatened him with a giggle.

"Fine, fine, but just for tonight," he looked at her

"Ok, deal," she smiled.

Alina's parents had come back from the walk, and they saw Mason pack up his things. "You're leaving Mason?" Peter asked

Mason turned around to look at them, "I told him to go home and get some rest; he'll be back tomorrow," Alina told them.

"Good idea, make sure to get some sleep, Mason," Lisa smiled at him. "I'll try my best," Mason smiled back.

He had packed up his stuff, ready to leave. He walked up to Alina, placing a kiss on her lips. "Call me if anything happens," he said, looking at her, his lips close to hers still.

"I will, don't worry ," she assured him, kissing him again.

"See you tomorrow, I love you," he said, caressing her cheek and looking at her one last time before he had to leave.

"I love you more; drive safe," she told him. He smiled and nodded.

He walked up to her parents, receiving a hug from both and a thank you for being there for their daughter.

He left the hospital, taking a seat in his cold car that had been parked outside for almost a couple of days.

He took a deep breathe and drove his way home, already missing the love of his life.