22 | the brighest light.

chapter twenty-two.
the brightest light.

It took an hour for Edwin to wake up from his nap, and the moment he opened his eyes he looked around the room, as if he was searching for someone. Me, I thought as I stood up from the couch and walked towards him, he's looking for me.

When he finally laid his eyes on me, a smile broke out on his face and he let out a strained laugh and held out a hand, silently asking me to grab it. I did so and smiled back at him, glad that I would be able to talk with him.

"Hi," he said. His voice sounded tired and rough. "How—how long have you been here?"

"About an hour. You were sleeping."

"I was?" he wondered. "You could've woken me up."

I shook my head. "No. You need to rest."

He laughed again. "There'll be plenty of time to rest when I'm dead."

I stared at him, the smile wiped clean from my face. He was right, but it still hurt to hear him say it. His life was on a very short timer, and I didn't want to think about it.

"What's wrong?" he asked, seeing my sullen expression. He squeezed my hand.

"Don't say things like that." I told him.

"Sorry," he mumbled. He didn't look very sorry, but I couldn't blame him. Of course he'd be cracking dark jokes on his deathbed. "Wait—how long have you been here?"

I furrowed my brows. "What? You already asked that."

"I did? Shit." he laughed again. "Sorry. I'm sorta...loopy, and...confused. I don't know. Everything just feels weird and, uh, fuzzy?"

"It's okay."

He just kept looking at me strangely, as if he was fighting between loving my presence and also being confused as to who I even was and why I was there. It felt awful, but again, I couldn't blame the boy for anything.

"You know, you should kiss me right now." He said blatantly, blinking slowly.

I chuckled awkwardly, feeling embarrassed. "Your entire family is here. They just heard you say that."

Edwin shrugged the best he could in his weakened state. "Who cares? They don't, and I don't. So, you shouldn't either."

I just sighed and moved my head forward, pressing my lips to his. He kissed back, moving his hands to the sides of my face to pull me closer for just a few seconds before I pulled away, salty tears running down my face again.

"Why are you crying? Was the kiss that bad?" He grabbed onto both of my arms while he smiled at me.

"No," I said, tugging one arm away so I could wipe away my tears. "It was good."