9

My eyes fluttered open softly as the warm touch of the sunlight came pooling in from the blinds. I quickly turned into my pillow, trying to will myself back into my slumber. As I realized exactly where I was, I lifted my head up slightly, taking in the empty space next to me. The weight of regret was heavily in my stomach, I had let us kiss last night. I had gotten too carried away in the magnetic force that was Kayce Dutton, effectively ruining everything we had built.

"Kayce?" I called out.

There was no response, but as I took in my surroundings I realized it had to be far later than I normally woke up based on how light it was outside. I sat up in bed, as I tried to remember what exactly I had done with my clothes last night. I needed to make it back to the bunk house but the thought of doing the walk of shame in Kayce's boxers made me physically ill.

"Good morning" Kayce spoke with a warm tone, "You look like you woke up having a breakdown?" He was leaning against the door frame causally, fully dressed, cowboy hat and all. His face looked rested, and there was a hint of a smile.

"What time is it?" I asked, squinting towards the window trying to make out where the sun was in the sky.

"Eleven," He pushed himself off of the frame as I began to scramble to get up, "But, don't worry I already talk to Rip. He said for you to rest today."

"You couldn't have lead with that?" I spoke, glaring at him as he made his way to stand in front of my place on the bed as I tried to calm down from my panic.

"Where's the fun in that?" He teased, leaning down and threading his fingers into my hair. He gently placed a kiss onto my forehead, before he clearing his throat "Are you hungry?"

"Maybe, why're you dressed if it's a rest day?"

"I had some things to take care of at the office this morning" He said as held his hand out, "Come on then, I made you some food."

I lightly took his hand and allowed him to help pull me to my feet. "Why'd you come back to the ranch then?"

"My dad needed to talk to me." I nodded lightly, as he moved to loop our fingers together. "Mostly just wanted to spend the day with you though." He tugged me along with our linked hands as we made it to the kitchen. He seemed to have been on a roll this morning, as my plate sat already made at the breakfast bar. I looked at him and smiled, taking a seat.

"What'd your dad want?" I asked as I took in the eggs and bacon he had made for me.

He leaned back against the counter, watching me as he sipped at his lukewarm coffee. "There's a livestock show in Missoula he wants me to go to tomorrow."

I hummed as I chewed, "When're you leaving?"

"Depends."

I lifted my head expectingly at him, but he just stared at me. Eyes dancing across my features. "On?" I finally asked, growing impatient.

"You wanna come with me?"

I looked towards my food again, taking another bite as I tried to buy some time. I wanted to be in Kayce's orbit so badly, but there seemed to be a lot of unknowns. He hadn't mentioned Monica much since our previous talk about him thinking of going back. Yet here I was wearing his clothes and eating the food he cooked me after spending the night in his bed. That had to mean something, I at least meant something to him. I looked back up toward him, making eye contact. It made me giddy inside, like I had just experienced my first kiss. I felt lovesick, as if I would do anything to get the chance to look in his eyes everyday. He definitely meant something to me.

"I do, but I doubt Rip will let me."

"He already said yes."

My gaze widen at his response, "How did you manage that?"