8

I sat perched upon the fence of the corral, facing towards the open fields and mountain tops. I had fled to the spot as soon as Rip had pulled into the driveway, needing time to think and a moment to collect myself. Every choice I had made and the consequences of those decisions were running through my mind. I let out a shallow breath, feeling as if I was one misstep away from erupting into sobs.

I heard the soft steps of someone walking towards me on the grass. "I'm fine Ryan, I just wanna be alone." I called out without turning my head, this would be his third time checking up on me and though I appreciated the thought. I really just wanted to be left the fuck alone.

"Good thing I'm not Ryan." Kayce teased softly before making his way to rest his forearms against the wooden fence.

He turned his head towards my face but I kept my gaze straight, hoping I could hide the bruises for the moment. "You just get back?" I asked, a pit in my stomach. Kayce had left to take Tate home hours ago.

He hummed in response, "Tate wanted me to read him a book before bed." He turned his head towards the ground. "And Monica and I had some things to discuss."

I nodded my head slowly, judging from his tone there seemed to be something he was leaving out but I decided to ignore it for the time being. I had a feeling whatever happened, it wasn't going to make my night any better.

"Are you alright?" Kayce asked, laying his hand on top of mine trying to get my attention.

I nodded my head again, not trusting my voice at the moment. My throat felt as if closing in, a sign that tears were trying to claw their way out of me.

"Then why won't you look at me?" He asked, inching closer to me. I hung my head down towards the ground.

"Just tired." I whispered.

"Gabby, can you please just look at me?" Kayce asked once more, his tone cracking. He seemed to be panicking a bit, as if he was the one who did something wrong.

I turned my head towards him, still not quite meeting his eyes. I knew I had to be a sight to take in, not having cleaned up at all after leaving the bar. I tucked my hair behind my ear, feeling a bit of what I assumed to be dried blood flake off of the side of my head.

Kayce pushed himself up onto the fence, sitting on it sideways. He reached his arms out and moved my body to face him more. "What the hell happened?" He muttered.

I watched as he brought his hand up to stoke my cheek, I grimaced slightly. "Nothing, just a bar fight."

"Over what?"

"Just dumb shit."

"With who?"

"Nobody, Kayce." I spoke pointedly, closing myself off to him emotionally and physically as I turned my body more towards the open pastures.

"I swear sometimes it feels like I've known you my entire life, and other times you're like a complete stranger." He mumbled, moving to get closer to me.

"I'm fine." I tried to reason, but it was useless as Kayce moved to try to give me a once over for any more injuries.

I got the sense that we weren't alone, and as I turned my head slightly towards the bunkhouse I found both Ryan and Lloyd watching us.

I flinched away from Kayce's touch, leaning backwards to remove myself completely from his reach. His eyebrows furrowed at my reaction and he looked towards me with a look of hurt.

"We have an audience." I spoke barely above a whisper.

He nodded as he stared back at the two men, before moving to jump down from the fence. "Come on then, I can't see anyways." He spoke, offering me a hand to help me down.