- Ugghh. – a grumble escaped my lips. – You didn't need to do that. – I complained.

- Oh don't be such a puss, it'll heal. – he snarked back.

- Yeah, but it still hurt. Look... - I say, trying to show him the damage he did. To my surprise, my palm already healed up completely. - What? – I said dumbfounded. It doesn't even hurt anymore.

- Pain is the easiest method to start healing. When your body senses agony, the healing process starts. But it shouldn't be your only option. – he told me seriously.

- Well, I don't see why I would need any other options. All wounds cause pain. – I say. Think about it, why else would I need healing if I'm not injured? All injuries inflict pain, so the healing process should start right away.

- Again, you don't see the bigger picture. Do you want to learn to understand your body or just to jumpstart your abilities? – his tone dead serious, upset maybe.

- Until a couple of seconds ago, I thought they were the same thing. – I responded truthfully. His eyebrows frown at me; he is beginning to get upset. Wow, this means a lot to him. – Sorry, the first. – I quickly added.

- Pain can be useful. However, ... strong emotions like fear, worry, sadness, or even anger can prevent it from starting the healing process. I'm trying to teach you to link your body and mind. – he started explaining calmer. – Imagine you were poisoned by hunters, and they are still hunting you. Fear won't let you start healing no matter how much pain you feel. On top of that, the adrenaline will carry the poison quicker through your body and, eventually, to your heart. You need to act quickly. – he paused for a moment.

I position myself in that scenario. What can I do? Hunters are chasing me; I have no time to stop and calm myself. I'm running alone; the increase in my heartbeat will pump the poison faster through my body if I don't stop it. I'm dead meat. Oh, goddess... I feel so helpless.

- You are right, I'm not ready... - I accepted shamefully.

- I'm trying to teach you to understand your body. Healing is not difficult once you comprehend it. You can do it without using pain as a bridge and even activate it mid-run. – he further explained.

Wow, there's just so much to learn. He's teaching me a whole different side to being a werewolf. I've never had to worry about this stuff, much less imagine myself going through scenarios like the one he just described. He must've been through that so many times... and he's still alive. Caleb is very strong... all rogues must be. Living like that is hell, and that's probably not the worst thing that has happened to them.

- Okay... I'll try again. –. I'm determined, this is happening now. I grab the scissors and stab myself in the hand. This wound is much deeper than in the past. It hurts but I suck it up and close my eyes.

- Okay, I want you to use your senses, but not to feel the wound. Feel your body.... – he started coaching me. – It has a mind of its own. Try and sink with it, to bond. That's the only way you'll understand. –

Well, here goes nothing. I concentrate on myself. My heartbeat, breath, my skin; everything I can smell, touch, and hear. I remember his previous lesson on scent control and how to let it flow. I start feeling my blood flow through my body. So, I warm and cool myself beginning to get my mind and body in sync. I start realizing all the processes my body does constantly. Just everything it does is automatic, it's amazing. So, I focus deeper and allow myself to feel all those changes. Then I notice a small discomfort in my hand, it's the injury. I got it! I open my eyes and think "heal". The wound immediately starts healing at a quick rate. In less than three seconds my hand completely healed. I look up at him in awe and pride.