27

Will is walking in the middle of the empty road, deserted by cars. Tiny specs of rain can be seen dancing in the light that the lamps above us shine.

I'm balancing on the edge of the pavement, because apparently my drunk self finds it so incredibly fun.

"When my mum's on the phone and she just walks into my room for no reason, continuing the conversation really loudly when I'm trying to read," I say.

Will snorts with laughter before he tells me another one of his pet peeves. "When I'm trying to have a discussion with one of my friends, but they're too fixated on their phones to even listen."

"I'd hate that."

"That's one of the many reasons why I like you. You never care for social media or your phone. In fact, you've never even been on it around me."

I smile in response, because it makes me realise that Will notices these little things about me. He's the only one.

"Why don't you have any social media?" he suddenly asks.

"Sorry?"

"I tried searching you up after you returned my book, but I found nothing. Why is it?"

I can't help but grin uncontrollably. "Why were you searching me up?"

He shrugs and shoves his hands into his pockets. "I was curious."

"About what?"

"You."

"Why?"

He shrugs once more. "I'm not entirely sure. I just was. It's kind of a shitty reason, isn't it?"

I laugh silently, staring down at the ground to check where my feet are taking me. "No. I think it makes sense. Usually we act based on feelings and emotions. Sometimes we don't have actual reasons for doing what we do."

He stays silent for an entire minute as he thinks about my words that I'm not even sure entirely make sense. The ground is spinning beneath my feet.

"Thanks for returning my book that day."

My dimples beam in his direction. "You're welcome, I guess? Anyone would've returned it."

"I don't just mean for that."

He doesn't continue his sentence to explain what he means, so I'm forced to question it.

"What, then?"

"It's embarrassing."

"Tell me."

Will sighs and runs his hand down his face, grinning from ear to ear. "I mean, just in general. Like, thank you for coming into my life. Sorry, it's embarrassing, I know, but it's the honest truth."

"I don't think it's embarrassing, I think it's quite...sweet."

"Really?" He sounds shocked.

"Mhmm."

We stop once we reach my front garden, just outside the gate that opens to the long path which leads to my white front door. All the lights are off, reminding me that my mum has a night shift and won't be back until the early hours of the morning.

Will and I both linger around awkwardly, not knowing how to part ways. He scuffs his trainers against the ground and refuses all eye contact with me.

"Do you want to watch that movie?" he asks.

"What movie?"

"Bohemian Rhapsody? The one we spoke about the other day?"

"Oh. Um, yeah sure—if you want."