𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖘𝖎𝖝

~

XXVI

~

"How well do we really know our parents?" 

Aiyla surveyed the criminal report in Wednesday's hands as the Addams girl spoke.

"Take my father for example," Wednesday continued, "I've always considered him an open book. A man given to misguided schemes and exaggerated displays of affection." She looked up at the stone balcony, something foreign in her gaze, "But when he was a student he was accused of a murder that took place right over there. Which leads me to wonder, what really happened on that stormy night 32 years ago?"

Aiyla sighed, "It's always a stormy night isn't it?"

Wednesday didn't answer, and Aiyla turned around, her eyes landing on the tall, stone wing of the school that housed Adron Hall - an all-boys hall dormitory. 

She stared hard at the window in the top of the tower, and curled her hands into tight fists, her nails cutting into her palms

Wednesday noticed this.

"Lay," she warned, eyes flitting from her fists to her face, "Calm down."

Aiyla took a deep breath and unfurled her hands, flexing her fingers and grimanced.

Control it.

"I am calm," she lied.

...

Aiyla wasn't listening to Weems' shitty speech, she wasn't clapping alongside the rest of the audience. She was glaring hard at the large blue banner that said 'PARENT'S WEEKEND' and feeling slightly sick.

It wasn't the thought of seeing her Bahadir that made her head spin.

It was the fact that everyone else was so normal. So mundane.

That they had parents.

Aiyla was almost envious of Wednesday.

Wednesday who had such a lovely family and such amazing parents - and still wanted to disobey them.

Whilst Aiyla was left with scars, scraps and a crazy, axe-wielding older brother.

She looked up as Weems began to speak about the Eugene incident.

"... But I'm happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery," Weems smiled at the crowds, but they didn't know that she was lying through her teeth.

On the mend my arse.

"So let's focus on the positive," Weems declared, "And make this parent's weekend our very best yet."

As the applause raged, Aiyla's insides twisted.

Stop talking about fucking parents.