Chapter 12 - Ellie

Start from the beginning

"God, no!" I rush out

"We just started whatever this is, and I'm not ready to put that out publicly. I'm sure he also feels the same way as I do about it. I'm his assistant, and it's not the best look."

"What fucking your boss a few months into working there?" God, she's so crass that I can feel my cheeks turn beetroot red.

"Ava!" I chastise her in a whisper as I scan the coffee shop to see if anyone has heard. Ava smirks

"Look, all I'm saying is we're just going to take it slow and see what happens."

"But what do you want?" Her voice turns serious.

"In what way?"

"Do you see a future with him? Or are you doing this to blow off the sexual tension that has radiated between you both all this time?"

I give her question some thought knowing I need to figure out the answer. Do I want to date Flynn? Yeah I do. I like him a lot, and I know I could fall for him, but would he feel the same? I'm still determining. Suddenly dread fills my chest. Ava must sense my concern because she covers my hand.

"Hey, don't overthink it. I was just asking. Take it from me, fling or not, get some much-deserved dick and have a good time, okay? Besides, I leave tonight, and the last thing I need is to fly back and worry if you're rocking like a crazy cat lady at home." I laugh, but worry starts to well inside my stomach.

We finished our coffees and decided to treat ourselves to some retail therapy, and before long, it was time to take her to the airport. She said she'd return in three weeks, which makes me happy. She's my only girlfriend, and I hadn't realised how much I missed her until she boarded the plane back to California.

Before I know it, it's Monday, two days since Flynn's been in my bed. He's texted me a few times, but that doesn't mean he wants a repeat performance. My stomach knots as I grab my house keys off the table and shuck on my coat. I take a deep breath, preparing for another day at work, and hope that sleeping with Flynn hasn't wholly ruined anything. As I walk out the front and turn to lock my door, a hand grazes my hip, causing me to jump.

Warm breath hits my ear. "Jumpy this morning, sunshine?"

My skin prickles with heat as I turn to face the man occupying most of my thoughts this weekend.

"Flynn, what are you doing here?" He smells so delicious that I let myself step into him. He pulls back slightly, but his hand is still against my hip.

"Not happy to see me?" He enquires and I shake my head.

"No. I am. I'm just - you surprised me."

"I thought I would drive you in with me." Suddenly he doesn't seem as confident as usual, unsure even, and my heart softens.

"Thank you," I say as I take his hand in mine "I would love that." That earns me a rare smile, one I want to believe is reserved for me, and the butterflies in my belly take flight.

Flynn runs his hand down my neck as the car drives slowly through New York towards Elite. However, my brain is running a mile a minute.

"Why so shy, Ellie?" He asks as he turns my cheek gently to face him. I look at his gorgeous face, running my eyes over his slender nose and full lips to his captivating eyes.

"I'm sorry, I just worried about going to work after you and I.."I gesture my hands between us.

"You and I what?" He murmurs, he knows what I'm talking about, but he wants to hear me say it as he brushes his lips against my face. God, that voice is silk against my cheek. I remain silent.