13

A few weeks had passed and soon it was March. Adi was crawling around whenever she could, and Alexander was becoming more and more alert as time went on. Mary was sitting at her desk constructing the letter to send to Elizabeth suggesting she either abdicate peacefully or face severe consequences. She felt as though if she didn't go for the crown the people would see her as weak and yet if she did both her and Francis would lose themselves in trying to run three countries once her mother died. They would set up regents, but with all the plots and things that went on just at French court she couldn't imagine all the situations it would cause. She would definitely discuss it with Francis soon. She glanced outside the window and saw Conde and a few of their men ride into the courtyard. She frowned and made a mental note to discuss him further with Francis. She felt as if he had a different motive. The more Francis was gone for meetings the more he found excuses to have to talk to her or try to get her alone. She stood and then turned when her door opened, and Francis walked in with Adi in his arms.

Francis headed for the nursery to get Adi and take her to Mary, so they could talk. He had an idea of how to solve the problem of ruling over multiple countries. He'd just gotten out of a meeting with his advisors and they informed him of different countries looking for alliances'. He picked up Adi who had just woken up and then headed for their chambers.

Lola watched as her husband headed out to take care of his family's affairs before their wedding tour. The past few weeks were better than she could've imagined, but she missed him already. She sighed and headed back into her chambers to straighten up, so she could keep busy. Traveling was growing more and more dangerous and she didn't want to think about what could happen.

Bash heard of the rumors of a Protestant noble who was secretly going around the country and making them believe they could somehow become strong and take over. He had his suspicions, but he needed facts before he acted on anything. He took Leith out to gather some more information. Kenna was busy planning Alexander's christening, so he hoped she wouldn't worry too much.

Francis set Adi on the floor and she crawled towards Mary who was standing near her desk by the window of her room. She knelt down her white dress billowing around her as she gathered Adi up into her arms. "How's my little darling?" she said standing up and holding her close. Adi giggled and waved her hands in the air. "Momma." she said in between her baby talk. Mary smiled and gasped looking over at Francis who was standing there with a smile on his face and love in his eyes. She walked over to him and gave him a kiss then began feeding Adi. "How are things this morning?" she asked. He sighed and pulled her close kissing her forehead. "Somewhat better than yesterday, but mainly the same. Nobles asking for favors, wondering when we will move on England and what we are doing about the growing faction of Protestants." he replied walking over to the couch and sank down onto it.

Mary gave him an apologetic look before settling onto the couch beside him. A few minutes of silence passed as the baby was fed, when she finished Adi crawled into Francis' lap and sat up looking at him with a beautiful, innocent smile on her face. He stroked her head and played with her soft dark curls. "Francis, I know there is a lot going on right now, but I was thinking about what would happen when we try to rule over three different countries. I love what we have together, but I'm scared we may lose it in the chaos of dealing with everything." Francis took her hand and smiled. "Well if you must know I've been thinking about the same thing and I may have a solution." He set Adi on the floor and took both her hands into his. "Adi is our firstborn and though I am hopeful there will be more right now we will be looking for a prince for her to marry. Why not put them in charge of their own country when they become of age? Of course, there will need to be a regent and there will still be some responsibility for us, but most of it will be on them." Mary watched Adi play with her feet and thought about his suggestion for a few moments. "I think with a little more planning and thought it sounds like the perfect solution." Francis sighed with relief and kissed her forehead again. "I don't want to lose this either." Mary put a hand to his cheek and gave him a soft smile. "Well then for the sake of our children we must be strong."

Francis placed his hand on hers and placed his forehead on hers kissing her softly. He slid his other hand around the waist and pulled her close. "Why not send Adi to her nanny and get started on the rest of those children? The nobles can wait." he said breaking the kiss. Mary gave him a quick kiss before calling for one of the maids to take Adi to the nursery. She walked back to where Francis sat on the couch, but instead of sitting down she took his hand and lead him over to the window of the room overlooking the surrounding green land. He moved to kiss her again, but she placed a finger on his lips. "Francis remember when we used to play outside and have all sorts of fun?" he looked out the window and smiled. "Of course." She pointed towards the trees. "Those trees over there. I learned to climb that one when I was a child. And you learned to pitch apples at me from over the seawall." She gave him a reproachful look and he smiled widely. "It's wide open a place for Adi to learn how to run and possible ride. And the gentle slope could propel one if you were, say learning how to walk." Francis wasn't sure what had come over her that she wanted to keep talking.

Mary noticed Francis starting to look confused, so she continued. "Or say watching one's big sister run and play." she added placing her hands over her stomach. "You mean...?" Francis looked from her face to her hands. "I'm with child. I'm pregnant with our baby again." she said smiling wide. Francis smiled and then laughed and pulled her into his arms swinging her around. When he set her down he kissed her with love and passion and she just clung to him not wanting to let go her heart so full of love for her beloved husband and King of France.