1

Mary tossed and turned in her bed. She was glad the worst was over, but she couldn't understand why Francis had not stayed with the others. She remembered the kiss he'd given her and wondered if their agreement had changed. She was starting to feel different about him. It was becoming more than just a simple engagement to benefit both countries. Finally, she threw off the covers and silently made her way to his chambers. She gave a soft knock then opened the door. He was standing there in his nightshirt and trousers. He looked somewhat surprised but also as if he'd expected it. "I couldn't sleep." She said tears in her voice. He moved closer and they meet in the middle.

Francis was slightly surprised when Mary opened the door and stood there in her robe and nightdress. "I couldn't sleep." She said sounding as if she was going to break down. "Neither could I." He walked towards her and stopped. "Why?! Why did you come back?!" She exclaimed pushing him back with her hands. "You didn't know the gold was poisoned! It was one man against ten!" She beat on his chest as she said each phrase. "Mary stop." He said taking her wrists in his hands. She had shoved him back till they were a few feet away from his bed. "They could've killed you! Why would you..." he held her face in his hands so she would stop. "Because I love you!" He said looking into her eyes an earnest expression on his face.

Mary stopped beating on him and looked up at him realizing he was cupping her face and how good it felt. She wasn't sure if she heard him right. "What?" She said softly. She moved her hands from his chest to his arms. "Because it's pretty obvious that to stay sane we must stay together." He said softer this time caressing her check. She wasn't sure she was hearing him right. "But what about not having control of our lives..." he slowly lowered his lips to hers and cut her off with a slow sweet kiss. She closed her eyes warmth seeping through her. He slowly pulled back their foreheads touching a mind their eyes closed. "What about France and... and Scotland?" He moved his hand to her waist pulling her against him the other hand at the nape of her neck. He pressed his lips to hers again this time with a little more meaning behind it. She moved her hand to his face then as the kiss deepened she moved both to encircle his neck.

Francis was done keeping her at arm's length. She was so scared for him and he knew then and there she returned his love. The first kiss was to stop her from making excuses to ruin the moment. He's pulled away quicker than he'd wanted but he wanted to be sure she wanted something more. She'd started talking again but didn't pull away. He didn't know if he was pushing to hard but when he pulled her against him she stayed. He broke the kiss and she looked at him with trust in her eyes. He didn't pull away too much and they locked eyes. "There has been entirely too much thinking going on." This time she made the move to kiss him and he returned them with passion. He put his hand to her face and she placed her hand on his side and the other on his neck. They both kept kissing and Francis turned and they moved towards the bed never stopping in their kisses.

Mary pushed all doubts aside as she felt like she was thirsty, and his kisses were the finest of wines. She realized they were headed towards his bed, but most thoughts fled her mind as they kissed each other passionately. Then she found herself lying on her back with Francis above her. They shared a look before he leaned down and continued his kisses. Mary felt herself becoming lost in the taste of his lips. Her hand came around his neck as he lay on his side. His hand slid to her waist pulling her closer.

Francis could feel himself coming more and more alive as their kisses went longer and deeper. He lifted his head slightly and looked into her eyes. "Tell me when you want me to stop." He said summoning all the strength he could to give her a serious look. She never wavered. She kept looking straight up at him. She put her hand around the back of his neck again. "Never." Was her reply as she pulled his face to hers and began kissing him. Francis knew then he never wanted to be with anyone else. He hadn't felt like that with any of his past "lovers". There was some connection something that made him want to never leave her side. He wanted to marry her for sure now. He kept kissing her as he worked to slowly undress her and caress her soft skin. She gave a soft moan as he placed kisses in the crook of her neck working his way across her collarbone to her shoulder and back.