22.

BELLA had eventually reentered the living room after a little while. Jasper still wasn't back from checking out, and Elexia hoped he hadn't run into any problems. Bella was incredibly tense, which was understandable, considering the current stress she was under. Still, Elexia chose to pretend to remain in denial.

Alice was writing again suddenly, and it was far more aggressive than it had ever been before. Elexia immediately jumped up and put a hand on her back.

"Alice?" Bella called.

Alice didn't react to Bella's voice. Her head was going side-to-side and her eyes were void.

"Alice!" Jasper's voice was now present as he was right behind his mate, pulling her hands from their grip on the coffee table.

"What is it?" Jasper questioned with a stern voice.

She finally moved, nuzzling her face into his chest.

She spoke, "Bella."

"I'm right here," Bella responded.
But Alice wasn't calling for Bella at all; she was responding to Jasper.
Alice moved her head again, making eye contact with Bella.

"What did you see?" Bella asked with a dull voice.

Jasper shot Bella a look. He was confused as he looked between Alice and Bella. Elexia wondered what they were feeling to get that reaction from him.

"Nothing, really," Alice answered after a bit. She was suddenly calm. "Just the same room as before."

Elexia knew this was a lie, but she wasn't going to ask. There was a reason for Alice to be lying.

"Did you want breakfast?" Alice asked Bella.

"No, I'll eat at the airport." Bella calmly answered, and then got up to go take a shower.

"I'll change, I guess," Elexia whispered. She could tell Alice and Jasper needed to be alone.

She went with a matching pink set of leggings and a tank top, leaving her hair down and wetting it a little bit to get rid of some of the frizziness. She took her time getting ready, in case Alice and Jasper still needed to be alone.

Elexia joined Alice and Jasper in the living room at around six-thirty. They both greeted her with small smiles. Bella was done shortly after, and by seven, they were on their way to the airport.

Jasper was driving, with Alice in the passenger seat and the two humans in the backseat again.

"Alice?" Bella asked.

Alice hesitated. "Yes?"

"How does it work? The things that you see?" Bella asked, looking out of the window. "Edward said it wasn't definite. . . that things change?"

"Yes, things change. . ." Alice muttered. "Some things are more certain than others. . . like the weather. People are harder. I only see the course they're on while they're on it. Once they change their minds - make a new decision, no matter how small - the whole future shifts."

Bella nodded. "So you couldn't see James in Phoenix until he decided to come here."

"Yes."

They arrived at the airport at last, and Jasper parked in some garage he found closest to terminal four, where Edward, Emmett and Carlisle were landing.

Once they got to the waiting area, Alice and Jasper studied the departing flights. They mentioned New York, Atlanta and Chicago. Elexia had only ever been to New York, not the other two.

Bella pulled an envelope out of her pocket and put it on top of Alice's bag.

"My letter," Bella said. Alice nodded and put it inside the bag.