The Dead Are Missed By The Living

Everyone watched Stiles in his cell on the security monitor. He only laid in his bed, occasionally shifting to get in a more comfortable position.

"Has he said anything?" Kara asked.

"Nothing," Brainy replied,"Hasn't even requested food and it's been forty eight hours."

Stiles was the first official prisoner of the new DEO. He didn't even seem bothered by it.

"I'm going down there," J'onn announced, already heading down to the cells.

"Wait, hold on," Kara said, going after him,"What are you going to do?"

"We've watched him sit there and do nothing. It's time to find out who he is."

"You're gonna read his mind?" Kara realized.

"If he doesn't answer first. Then yes."

Kara let him go, and she went back to the computer and watched the Martian enter the room where the cell was built into the wall.

"My name is J'onn J'onzz," He said when Stiles sat up,"I'm the co-director of the Department of Extranormal Operations."

Stiles waved, still not speaking.

"We were hoping you would be able to answer some questions we have."

A shrug was the only response J'onn could get.

"How did you get your abilities?"

Stiles didn't answer.

"Are you a metahuman? A human empowered by dark matter."

Stiles shook his head.

"An alien?"

Stiles shook his head again.

"If you refuse to comply I will be forced to use my telepathic powers to get the information I need."

Stiles smiled, lifting his hand and he gestured him forward as if to say,'Try it.'

Putting his hands behind his back, J'onn looked at Stiles as if deciding whether or not he should.

J'onn's eyes narrow on Stiles, they start to glow red, and the human remained still. He wasn't afraid, he genuinely preferred J'onn reading his mind to actually speaking.

The Martian winced, as if caught off guard by something. His hands closed into fists, a small grunt escaping him.

Stiles's brows furrowed, growing confused.

His eyes glowed a brighter red, his teeth gritting together, and he let out a shout from the exertion and also pain.

Stiles got to his feet when J'onn stumbled backward, and Kara appeared, steadying her Father figure.

Looking at him, Kara could see that Stiles was just as confused about what had happened.

"What did he do to you?" Kara asked, everyone watching him as he leaned on the wall for support.

"Nothing intentional," J'onn said, turning to face them.

"Look at what he did to you, J'onn," Alex said,"And you weren't even fighting."

"It's my fault, I pushed myself too far," J'onn said.

"What do you mean?" Nia asked.

"Every sentient being has a barrier around their minds that keeps telepaths from getting to the center of their minds where they can see their memories, control them, change the very thing that makes someone who they are. That barrier is unique to each person, usually it's shaped by certain traumas or their personality. Alex, when I got past your defense to erase your memory of Kara years ago, it was similar to trying to seep through the cracks of a brick wall."