Chapter 1

My alarm rings, waking me up like it does every day at 5am exactly. It's pretty early and most people would complain, but I am used to it as it's been my morning routine for the last year. To make up for my brothers act of selfishness, I have to give out food to the factionless every morning before school. Marcus believes the more selfless acts I complete, the more likely I am to want to stay in Abnegation and not leave like Tobias did. He is wrong. The more he forces me to be someone I'm not the faster I want to start anew.

I look into my wardrobe and it's not hard to pick what to wear as everything is identical. All I have is plain, grey dresses which are down to the floor. Marcus likes me to wear the same so I don't stand out and he thinks this is appropriate clothing for women. I don't have a choice in this. The only piece of clothing I have which is different is a set of Dauntless training clothes which was given to me by my Dauntless friends. However, that's not in my wardrobe; it's hidden in a very secure location that Marcus will never find.

I quickly get dressed and creep down the stairs. I can't wake Marcus as then he will punish me as he thinks it's selfish for me to disturb his sleep as he is the leader of Abnegation so always needs to be in his best state. I think he has a different definition of selfish than the rest of us.

I leave the house at 5:15 exactly which is what I have to do. Marcus even checks the log to see that I'm not a minute later as that would be a waste of my time and it would mean that I wasn't being as efficient as I could be.

I go to Abnegations main building which is conveniently a five minute walk away, but I guess Marcus needs to be close to it as he is supposedly the leader of Abnegation. There I take a basket of food and head to my first section. Every morning I give food to the factionless in three sections which takes approximately half an hour each, which means that I get home for about seven. My routine is identical every single day. It gets boring and very repetitive.

I always zone out when I am walking as it's a simple task to give the basic rations to every factionless member I see. Sometimes it does get a bit violent as they want more than I give them, but there are Dauntless patrolling the area so they always break it up before it goes too far or I am hurt. That's one of the reasons which inspired me to become Dauntless as I saw how important they were and the exciting life they lead. It made mine seem even more dull in comparison. However, the main reason was because of my Dauntless friends; Marlene, Lynn and Uriah. They helped me when I needed it the most; the time when I was punished at home by my dad for Tobias's departure and I was bullied at school because of the articles Erudite started to release about Abnegation. They taught me how to fight so I could defend myself at school and with a combination of my new skills and the support of my new friends no one bothers me anymore. However, I still face the pain at home because I can't stand up to Marcus as he will just make the punishments worse.

I didn't think our friendship would last. I thought they would hang out with me until I wasn't bullied anymore and then just leave me. I thought they only helped me because they felt sorry for me, not because they actually wanted to be friends. I was always waiting and dreading the day that they would finally abandon me as that would be the day that I was alone again. However, it never came.  I got rid of the bullies and became more confident and they still stuck by my side. They helped train me in skills for Dauntless initiation, not just skills to keep me safe. At parts I truly felt like I was Dauntless and those moments are the times where I forget about my past and just live. However, I always hit reality. I always came home. But not for much longer as it's the choosing ceremony tomorrow and I'm not going to stay after that. I am going to go to Dauntless and not think about Marcus or Abnegation ever again. No one is going to stop me.

"Oi you," a dangerous looking factionless calls to me, pulling me from my thoughts.

I turn to him, but don't know what to say as I don't want to provoke him as he would easily beat me up.