diecinueve

Quentin stood at the end of the dark alleyway, the only light emitting from a dull streetlight. Behind him, he heard a growl close to his left ear and he made a run for it. His daughter's cries sounded as she yelled out for her father. He called out the name Riley several times to find where she was but she never answered.

The growl was more prominent and Quentin decided it was time to be a man, fight whatever this was, because it obviously had his only child. Q slowly turned, his heart in his throat, growing nervous each second. He became face to face with a bull. A bull with red eyes whose anger caused him to breath out fiery breaths from his nostrils.

Q's mouth dropped and he dashed away, tripping over something solid. A body. A human body. Riley's body. Quentin told his daughter to run, run as fast as she could but Riley couldn't move or speak, she was a vegetable on her spot on the cold wet ground.

The raging bull hovered above Riley, a tear slipped from her eye in fear. The bull's face started to distort into a whole new being, transforming into the face of Riley's true love. Cassius now stared back at her, red eyes more deeper than before.

A gun was placed in her hand and she was forced to aim at her crawling father, whose leg had given out after his fall. "Do it.... Do it...." The voice echoed.

"Mrs. Hathaway.... Mrs. Hathaway!"

Riley abruptly sat up from the desk, slobber running down her mouth as she was awakened from her dream. "Huh?!" She asked dumbfoundly. Her classmates snickered and her teacher shook her head.

"Stay awake in my class Mrs. Hathaway. Maybe you'd be passing." The class laughed and ohhhh'd. Riley waited for the teacher to turn away so she could flick her off, making the class roar again.

It was the first time Riley had been to school since living with Cassius. And only because it was the last week of school, the best week ever. She was only tired because she had a long night after a dinner date with Cassius. He accused her of flirting with the waiter and there was no changing whatever he thought in that delirious mind of his.

"I'm sorry ma'am but we are having a very busy day, will you guys like some more complementary breadrolls?" The waiter asked Riley. Cassius had exited the table to take an important call.

Riley glanced up at the waiter. He looked to be in his early 20's, maybe even 19. He was Caucasian and tall, with brown hair that flopped to each side when he moved his head. He was cute in his own way. "Yes we would like that. And can you please refill his glass?"

"Of course, water right?" Riley nodded. He picked up the glass, started to walk away, stopped, and backtracked. "Um, if you don't mind me asking... the fella at the table with you. He's your brother right? - a stepbrother prehaps?"

"No... He's my-"

"A cousin then. I don't mean to bother you, it's just that you're very beautiful. I've never seen anyone as beautiful as you."

Riley blushed, looking down at her lap. This waiter was very consistent. "He's not my cousin neither. He's my man."

The waiter's eyebrows raised high. He placed his hand on his chest in shock. "Well you're still very sexy. When you want to take a ride on the Vanilla side, my name is Greg and I'm off this Thursday."

"I'm fine." Riley giggled, appreciative of his compliments. Her giggles were stopped short as Cassius returned to the table.

He bumped past Greg and sat in his chair, across from Riley. "Are you going to refill my fucking drink?" He spat in an annoyed tone, looking up at Greg.