Chapter Seventy-Four

A/N: i am so sorry for the very late chapter but i just finished my semester (yay!) and now i am going to have so much more time, i promise. so since it's been a while since we last saw adie, a quick recap:

tony died and she went to the funeral, but then she left and never looked back. now she lives in her penthouse that tony bought for her because she doesn't have as many memories there with him as she does everywhere else. peter is really the only person that she talks to and so he's unofficially moved in with her. he's kind of stuck in a limbo, unsure of how his life is supposed to continue after everything, but his main priority is adelaide right now because she's slipping away from him and he has to stop her before it's too late.

and now you're all caught up!

————————————————————
"You're okay, I've got you, love,

I promise. Everything's gonna

be okay."
————————————————————

adelaide tossed and turned all night in that bed, but couldn't get a wink of sleep. and as the sun's rays came up early the next morning, so did a looming hangover.

she groaned, pulling her pillow over her face to hide the light coming from the window. her head was throbbing. like someone was playing bowling up there.

and suddenly, she felt it. the gag reflex in the back of her throat. she threw her hand over her mouth and raced to the bathroom. and just in time too, because she hurled as soon as she fell in front of the toilet. she coughed, wincing at the acidic feeling burning its way up her throat. she gripped the porcelain, throwing up into the toilet again. her stomach was empty so most of what was coming up was bile and it burned like hell.

when she felt like she wasn't going to hurl again, she slowly stood up, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand. she caught her reflection in the mirror. with the bed head and smeared mascara and the reek of alcohol and barf, she looked nothing short of crazy. what had happened to her? she had been handling pain and loss all her life. why was she so terrible at this? why did she only feel better when she pushed everyone away and cried herself to sleep?

and then, in the reflection, she saw something glinting under the fluorescent light inside the box on the shelf behind her. the box was from some of her stuff that peter had brought with him from the cabin.

she frowned, turning around.

—————

"happy birthday, hon," tony said, handing her a thin, rectangular, velvet box.

"what is it?" she asked, not being able to stop a smile from escaping. tony grinned.

"open it," he said. excitedly, adelaide slowly opened the velvet box.

resting inside, was the most beautiful, delicate diamond necklace she had ever seen before. she gasped quietly, carefully running her fingers over the gift.

"do you like it?"

"it's beautiful," she breathed in awe.

"here, let me," he said and took the necklace out of the box. he helped hook the necklace on and it fell gracefully around her neck, like it belonged there. adelaide stared at it in her reflection in the mirror. she saw tony's reflection smile. "you make it look even more beautiful."

adelaide smiled. and then she turned around and threw her arms around him.

"i love it, thank you," she exhaled into his shoulder.