Chapter Thirty-Four

A/N: helloooo

posting this exactly at midnight to pretend i'm punctual

kinda of a short chapter today but i just thought some people in the story needed time to mull over the consequences of certain decisions (cough cough shes my daughter cough cough) so this chapter is basically a filler but still kinda fluffy!!

————————————————————
"I think I saw your face in Times Square.

Everyone knows Adelaide Rivers."
————————————————————

"Tony Stark reportedly has a secret teenage daughter. After an explosion at a warehouse on 117th street earlier today, the billionaire was seen leaving with Spider-Man and a teenage girl who he claimed to be his daughter. The girl has been identified as Adelaide Rivers, a current fifteen-year-old student at the Midtown School of Math and Science. Not much is known about her, but more reports are coming in as we speak so stay tuned for—"

Pepper switched the tv off, tossing the remote on the couch next to the billionaire. She gave him a hard look.

"Seriously, Tony?" she said, furious, "God, you just never think about the consequences of your actions, do you!" The billionaire was exhausted from today and the last thing he needed was his fiancé lecturing about something he knew she was right about.

"I was just angry, okay!" he argued, "They were hurting her and I don't know— I just...I just got mad."

"If they're hurting her then you get her to the car faster! You don't completely uproot her life and privacy!" Pepper argued. Tony stood up in anger.

"She's my daughter and I don't care who knows it!" he shouted. Pepper gave him a look.

"She cares, Tony," she said, "You've completely changed her life forever. She's gonna care a lot."

He wanted to argue back, but she was right. The helicopters and drones hovering outside their windows and the mob of reporters by the entrance of the Tower only proved her to be even more right. He gritted his teeth, falling back into the sofa and hiding his face in his hands. Pepper was right. Adie was going to hate him more than she already did. She was going to want to move out of the Tower forever and never talk to him again.

He had officially just pushed her over the edge.

—————

When Adelaide opened her eyes, she was so grateful that she wasn't waking up in a hospital that she inhaled deeply, completely forgetting about the fractured rib.

She let out a shout of pain, her hands going to her side. She tried take small breaths to get through the pain. It would definitely be a while before she was sleeping on that side again. She noticed her wrists were also bandaged up with gauze. Her headache was almost gone.

But the heavy feeling over her heart wouldn't go.

Phin was gone.

And it was her fault. Or maybe it wasn't. She still had no idea what had happened there in the warehouse, with her powers and everything. She stared at a blank spot on the wall for a long time, thinking. She did a lot of thinking. She was still thinking when there was knock on her door and Happy let himself inside. She found herself hoping it had been Tony.

"How you feeling, kid?" he said quietly, sitting beside her on the bed. She leaned into him and he put his arm around her.

"Like I broke a rib," she mumbled, making the man chuckle.