Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

   Lola and Beth went dress shopping the next morning and left Alex and I at home. I sat in the lounge and thought about Lola. The brush of her skin against mine, the smell of her sweet breath, the look in her eyes. And then...realisation hit me. "CRAP!" I yelled, sliding off of the sofa and falling to my knees. Alex came running in.

"What? What is it, Sean?" Alex asked.

"Realisation."

"What?

"Protection."

"What?"

"I didn't use a bloody condom!" I yelled. Everything was eerily quiet as Alex processed what I had just told him.

   "That...could be a problem." He said after a few minutes.

"Thank you, Mr Point-out-the-obvious." I snapped, not wanting to be told what I already knew.

"Have you spoken to Lola?"

"No."

"Well, maybe it's okay. Maybe she wasn't at the right time."

"Yeah, but maybe she was."

"Calm down, Sean."

"How the hell can I calm down? I seem to be making Lola's life worse every day. I turn her into a vampire, cause her parents to practically disown her and now she's probably pregnant."

"She might not be though."

"Well, do you want to be the one to hand her the pregnancy test and say 'sorry, Sean's such a pillock that he forgot to use a condom'?" Alex didn't answer. "Didn't think so."

   "So, when are you gonna' tell 'er?"

"When do you think? Before or after the wedding?"

"I'd go with before."

"Thanks, but I'm gonna' let her get all of the dress shopping done and everything."

"Good idea." I sighed and let my face fall into my hands. Alex just patted me on the back and said "Do you want a drink?"

I muttered a weak "Milk, please." as I started to silently cry.

   Seriously, could I not do anything right?! Stupid boy, stupid! Would I ever do anything right for Lola? I doubt it. I'll probably just end up cocking that up too, I thought as I cried. I felt my heart beat faster as I thought about what Lola would say when I told her. I didn't want her to get hurt, didn't want to upset her. I took deep breaths after realising that I had to be strong for Lola, be her rock.

   Lola and Beth had brought all of the bridesmaids dresses. They needed to get Lola's dress and Beth wanted to get herself a dress. The next week and a half was spent sorting decorations, checking arrangements and posting the invitations. It was three weeks until the wedding.

   How time flies...

   About two weeks later (when everything was sorted, dresses and all), I woke to find that Lola wasn't in bed. I got up and looked around. I found her in the bathroom, heaving up her guts. Crap! This only makes Lola's possible pregnancy more possible, I thought to myself as I ran to Lola. I sat beside her and rubbed her back. I dampened a flannel and held it to her forehead when she'd finished. I cradled her to my chest, rocking her slowly and telling her that it'd be okay. When she'd finished crying, I helped her up and we went downstairs. I got her some milk to rinse her mouth out with and then sat down with her on the sofa. She put her glass down and rested her head on my shoulder. I held her close to me, as if trying to protect her from the blow that was about to come.

   "Hun?" I said, threading my fingers through her hair.

"Mmmm?" Lola replied.

"You know when we had...our moment, a while ago?"

"Yeah, how could I forget?"

"Well, you remember we went all the way?"

"Yes."

"Well, we didn't have protection." I said after exhaling. Lola was silent, she just sat and stared ahead of her. "Lo?" I said. "Lola?" Lola still didn't answer. I looked at her face and saw a small tear trickle down her cheek and she let out a whimper. I pulled her onto my lap and wiped away the tear. They began to come faster, Lola's whimpers turning into sobs.

   "It might not be definite." I said, rocking her.

"So I just barf every morning for a week due to my period, or something?" Lola yelled. I sighed and stroked her arm. "Why is it that you always seem to be the bearer of bad news?" Lola asked, fidgeting with her fingers.

I sighed again and said "Do you want to take a test or are you gonna' see it as being set in stone?"

"I'll buy one in town." Lola said, through a sigh.

"No need."

"Why?"

"I've already got one."

"Wait, how long have you known?"

"'Bout three or four weeks."

"And you didn't tell me?"

"I wanted you to finish all of your shopping and stuff. I wanted you to enjoy buying your clothes instead of worrying about everything."

"Oh."

"Yeah, oh."

"I'm going back to bed."

"Alright, I'll see you later, I'm goin' for a shower." I looked at the clock and saw that it was six forty five.