Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

   "So, what are you doing about a stag night?" Alex asked me, the next day.

I turned away from my book, looked at him and said "Dunno', ain't the best man menna' organise that?"

"Yeah, usually. But you don't even have a best man."

"Yet." I finished, "I'm thinking of asking Jake."

"Well, when are you gonna' call him?"

"When a very kind and loving 'father' will hand his 'son' the phone." I said, smiling, air quoting the words 'father' and 'son'.

"Lazy arse." Alex groaned.

Alex walked out of the room and appeared again, with the head set in his hand. I smiled, said 'thanks' and took the hand set from him.

   Scrolling through the directory, I eventually found Jake's  under F. F for Fortnum; Jake Fortnum. I pressed the green 'call' button and waited for him to pick up. "Hello?" Jake's voice said.

"Hey, Jake, it's Sean." I said.

"Hey, Sean. What was it you wanted?"

"Do I have to have a reason to call my bessss..." Lola walked in the room as I was about to say 'my best friend' "second best friend?" I smiled at Lola. She smiled back at me and came and sat down next to me.

   "She's there isn't she?" Jake asked in the tone that said I was making it so obvious.

"Uh huh."

"Well...why else do you ring, maybe to tell me that you've officially dropped out of school? I mean, you haven't been there for, like, two and a half months."

"Family things." I answered hesitantly.

"Whatever. Anyways, what was it you wanted?" Jake asked.

"Well...Lo and I are...engaged." I paused every so often.

"Okay, woah! Freeze! When did this happen?"

"'Bout two weeks ago."

"Well, why didn't you tell me."

"We were arranging the wedding and, I mean, only Beth, Alex and Lola's parents know so far. Oh, and the vicar."

"Well, what did you want to ask me?"

"I wondered if you'd be my...best man?"

"Yeah, sure. What do I have to do?"

"Well, can you get here and talk with Alex about a stag night? He's hassling me."

"Yeah, sure, gimme' twen'y minutes."

"Alright, see you in abit."

"Yeah, bye." I pressed the 'end call' button and plopped the phone down.

   "Well, I now have a best man." I said to Lola. Lola pulled out her list and crossed 'best man' off of it. I smiled. "What about brides maids?" I asked Lola, pulling her onto my lap and kissing her on the cheek.

"Well, I've considered my cousin, Kylie, and Esme and Sian, my best friends." Lola replied.

"Best?"

"Tied for second best." Lola corrected herself. I smiled at her and pressed my lips to hers. Her lips were warm and soft.

"Need the phone to call them?" I asked, picking the phone up. Lola took the phone from me and smiled.

"Hello? Aunt Matilda, is that you?" I could only hear a small murmur come from the phone. "Yeah, it's me. I have some news and I'm not sure if mum and dad have told you or not." Murmur. "Well, I'm getting married." Murmur. "No, not to Luke, I only went to see a film with him once." Murmur. "Yes, you know him. Don't you remember? Last Christmas? I brought Sean around on boxing day." Murmur. "Tall, dark hair, face of a Greek god, six pack." Murmur. "Yeah, he took the mistletoe down and kissed me most of the night. Made Kylie laugh and mum and dad wanted to kick him out. 'Member?" Murmur.

   "Well, I wanted Kylie to be one of my brides maids and thought I'd check with you first." Lola said. Murmur from the phone. "Yeah, so could I borrow her a few times, to get her dress measured?" Murmur. "Cool, thanks. Can you put her on?" Murmur. "Kylie, guess what." Murmur. "No. Cousin Lola's getting married." Murmur. "Yeah, to the one wih the kissing toe stuff. And I want you to be one of my bridesmaids." Screaming from down the phone. Lola held the phone away from her ear until it quietened down. "Yeah, mummy said I can borrow you for a dress fitting. I'll get back to you in a day or so, okay?" Murmur. "Yeah, I love you. Bye." Murmur.

"Kylie is one of my bridesmaids and aunt Matilda's majorly happy for us." Lola said, when she'd hung up. I smiled and kissed her again.

   "Esme next?" I asked. Lola nodded and dialled a number in the phone. She pressed 'call' and held the phone to her ear.

"Ez! Guess what?" Lola said. Murmur from down the phone. "I'm gettin' maried!" Lola said, squealing. There was squealing from Esme, too. "And, girl, I want you to be one of my bridesmaids." Squealing, followed by a murmur. "Yeah and Sian." Murmur. "I'm calling her straight after you. So, when are you free this week coming?" Murmur. "Hang on a sec', lemme' write that down. So, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday?" Lola asked. I went into the rec room and grabbed some paper and a pen. I wrote down the dates and went back in the other room to Lola, taking the pen and paper with me.

   I sat down next to Lola and then Lola said 'bye' and hung up. "I'm guessing she said 'yes'." Lola nodded and smiled. "I'm guessing it's just Sian to ask. Oh, and here's the list of dates." I said, handing Lola the paper and pen.

"Thanks." Lola said.

"S'okay." Lola called Sian and said just about the same as what she'd said to Esme. There was a lot of squealing and laughing, but she said 'yes'. Lola organised for her and Beth to go dress shopping with Kylie, Esme and Sian on the Thursday. She rang Matilda and checked that Kylie could go and got the all clear.

   Lola crossed 'brides maids' off of her list and pulled me up. She pulled me out of the lounge, up the stairs and into my room.