Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

   "So, babe, are Beth, Sian and Ez organising a hen night for you?" I asked her, stroking my fingers through her hair.

"I think so. Why?" Lola replied.

"No reason. All I can say is: if you have a stripper, please make sure that you and the girls don't go on about how you think he looks so much better than me."

"Promise I won't."

"Oh, so you're saying that he will be better looking than me?" I was putting such drama into my voice, acting shocked and horrified.

"I'm not allowed to talk about it, 'member?"

"Whatever you say. So, what's left to do?"

"Ummm..." Lola said, pulling the list from her bra.

"Delightful."

"Well, I'm wearing a skirt, I don't have pockets."

"Point taken." Lola observed the list.

"We have to my dress, rings, transport, cake, decorations for the reception and - I don't know if you wanna' do this, I'll only go for it if you do - a honeymoon."

"I ain't bothered, I'm over the moon as long as I'm with you, honey."

"That was majorly crappy."

"I know." I laughed lightly.

"So, do we want a honeymoon?" Lola asked.

"I really don't care." I answered.

"Shall we class that as a 'no'?"

"Yeah, it's a 'no'." Lola crossed 'honeymoon' off of the list and put it back in her bra. I grinned at her. "To the cake shop." Lola said, getting off of the sofa. I got up and we walked into the hall way. We put on our shoes and walked to the bakery.

   As we walked into the cake shop, the smell of sponge cake and icing sugar bombarded us. I sighed contently and made a strange noise in the back of my throat as I saw the cakes surrounding us. "Guys." Lola said as she sighed and shook her head at me. Lola said that we were looking for tiered wedding cake and the woman asked how many tiers. Lola looked to me. I shrugged. "Four?" Lola said. The woman asked what shape we wanted the tiers. "Round I s'pose." Lola said, she looked to me and I nodded. The woman drew four round tiers on top of each other, gradually getting smaller, on a pad of paper.

"Icing?" The woman asked.

"What about white?" Lola said. I nodded.

"Decorations?"

"Can you do, like, red roses on each layer?"

"Yes. Like this?" The woman asked, showing us a rough sketch.

We both nodded and Lola said "Looks very nice."

"Bride and groom on top?" The woman asked. We nodded. "Anything else?"

"Ummm, I'm out of ideas. Sean?" Lola said.

I shrugged and said "Have you got any ideas?", looking towards the woman. She nodded and began to sketch. When she showed us the picture, we smiled and both said about how it looked gorgeous and quite classy.

"How many are you feeding?" The woman asked.

"About seventy...ish?" I answered.

"Yeah, that sounds about right." Lola added.

"Okay, I'll sort it. Are you paying by card or cash?"

"Card." Lola said, handing her Beth's card (yeah, Beth trusts Lola with her pin and card. I'm mega jealous). The woman put the card into the machine and Lola entered the pin when told.

The woman smiled and said "Okay, you can take your card. When will you need your cake for?"

"August the thirteenth." I said.

"Okay, you can pick it up or have it delivered."

"We'll pick it up, thanks."

The woman smiled and said "Okay, have a good day."

"Thanks, you too." We smiled and walked out of the shop.

   "Decorations." Lola said, as we walked along the high street.

"Going for the red and white theme?" I asked. Lola nodded. We walked around and I said "Why don't we ask Beth? She's mega good at art and colours and stuff."

"I like that idea." Lola said.

"What's next?"

"Transport."

"Oh. What do you want?"

"Limo?"

"Sure."

   We walked to a limo hire company and said that we wanted to hire a limo for three and a half hours for five people on the thirteenth of August. They told us it would cost three hundred and fifty pounds. Lola handed over her plastic pal, punched in some numbers and we left. Painless...for us. For Beth's card: painful.

   "RINGS!" Lola squealed. We went into the jewellers that I got Lola's engagement ring from. When we got in, the same guy was serving. "She said 'yes'?" The guy asked.

"She said 'yes'" Lola said, holding up her left hand and showing her ring.

The guy smiled and said "Congratulations!" We both smiled and said 'thanks.' "You're looking for wedding rings now?"

"Yep." Lola said, nodding.

Lola chose a white gold wedding band and I chose a titanium wedding band. The guy went into the back room, got the rings in our sizes, put them in small red velvet boxes and put the boxes into a bag. Lola slid Beth's card into the machine and entered the pin. The guy handed Lola the bag and we left, saying 'thanks' while the guy said 'congratulations'. Damn, it's a good job Beth and Alex have been saving for a while. Honestly, they must have tons put away if the card is still not being declined.

   When we got home, we showed Beth our rings and the photo copy of the cake design. We then asked her to do the decorations and she agreed. After, she said that her, Lola, Sian, Esme and Kylie were going dress shopping tomorrow.