ix

𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘!

𝗟𝗜𝗭 𝗜𝗦 𝗣𝗔𝗡𝗜𝗖𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚. peter can't be found anywhere and the decathlon is about to start.

"flash, i guess your back on."

flash smirks, "what? penis not here?"

liz just shakes her head, disappointed.

during the decathlon, liz tries to shake off all thoughts of peter.

"we have now entered sudden death, the next correct answer wins the championship," the announcer speaks and liz feels her nerves grow inside her.

luckily mj knows the answer and doesn't hesitate to ring her bell. liz's breathing becomes shaky.

please don't mess up michelle, she thinks.

"midtown tech?"

"zero," mj says in a 'duh' voice.

"that is correct."

"holy shit," liz sighs, mumbling under her breath as the audience erupts in cheers. she grins from ear to ear.

"woohoo!" the team cheers as they're walking to the washington monument.

"told you we didn't need peter," flash points out smugly.

"flash, you didn't answer a single question," ned retorts.

even when he's not here ned will always defend him, liz observes.

the team makes its way into the building.

as they're walking in, liz hears ned talking on the phone.

"...my backpack," ned says. "you missed the decathlon. i covered for you."

liz turns knowing exactly who that was.

"we're at the washington monument, i-" that's when liz takes his phone.

"peter, is that you?"

"oh, hey, liz!" peters voice comes through the speaker. "please put ned back on the phone."

"you flake! you are so lucky we won. you know, i want to be mad, but i'm more worried. like, what is going on with you?" liz shakes her head, confused.

"look, i have to talk to ned, it's really important!"

"miss, all items on the belt, please," a security guard tells liz. she sets the phone down on the conveyer belt with peter still on the phone. he is saying something but liz can't hear.

"mr. harrington, can i be the one to tell peter he's expelled?" flash asks once the team is in the elevator and liz rolls her eyes.

"𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗘, 𝗠𝗜𝗗𝗧𝗢𝗪𝗡 𝗧𝗘𝗖𝗛 𝗩𝗢𝗟𝗟𝗘𝗬𝗕𝗔𝗟𝗟!" the announcer's voice floods through the speakers of the large gym.

the team's second game was about to start. they had won their first game, against ridgewood high, the north carolina state holders. aristyn had quickly shaken her nerves and now she feels excited. but if they lost, it would be over completely for them.