vii

𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡!

"𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗜𝗦 𝗦𝗢 𝗔𝗪𝗘𝗦𝗢𝗠𝗘," ned states while looking at a projection of the tracker. peter drops down beside him on his bed.

"i know, right?"

ned touches it to zoom in.

"they're in brooklyn," peter observes out loud.

for the next few hours, peter and ned sit in peters room watching the tracker, waiting for them to stop.

"staten island," ned announces.

a few more hours later, "leaving jersey."

eventually, "they stopped."

"maryland," peter says while standing upside down on the ceiling.

"what's there?"

"i don't know," peter pauses, "evil lair?"

"they have a lair?"

"a gang with alien guns run by a guy with wings? yeah, of course, they have a lair."

"badass," ned nods. "but how are you gonna get there if it's like, 300 miles away?"

the two boys think for a moment before turning to the academic decathlon poster on peters wall.

"it's not too far from D.C."

𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗡𝗘𝗫𝗧 𝗗𝗔𝗬, 𝗔𝗥𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗬𝗡 𝗪𝗔𝗦 𝗔 𝗕𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗟𝗘 𝗢𝗙 𝗡𝗘𝗥𝗩𝗘𝗦.

"you're gonna do great, sis," flash reassures while in his yellow academic decathlon jacket.

"i know, but," aristyn wrings her hands, "what if i don't? what if some freak accident happens and i break both my legs before the games even start and i let my whole team down and-"

"aristyn."

she breathes deeply, "i know, i know. nothing like that is gonna happen. but i can't help but worry."

"you'll be fine. you and your team are gonna kick ass. i'm just sad i won't be there to see it."

aristyn smiles gratefully, "thank you, and good luck with your decathlon too."

"thanks, i look pretty good in my jacket, don't you think?"

aristyn laughs, "sure, keep telling yourself that. anyway, i have to go to my bus now, i'll see you later. text me when you get there."

"okay, you too, bye."

"bye." aristyn walks away to the volleyball bus which was parked next to the decathlon bus.

"is everyone here?" coach yells out.

aristyn pushes her way to the front, "i can do a headcount really quick."

"oh, yes, please. thank you, aristyn," coach smiles at her.

"of course."