"Sure. Ignore my advice and do that. Makes more sense." Keke's words were laced with sarcasm.

"Good talk, cuz. I'm going to shower, wash this negative energy off me and then let's have a movie night. Unless you got someone sliding thru soon."

"Bitch, please! You don't see this onesie or these janky braids? I am in." Keke brought a nacho chip up to her mouth. "And I have just the theme. 'Woman who let their fear keep them from true love'."

"Oh, so any one of your favourite Tyler Perry soap operas?"

Keke squealed. "Bitch, are you caught up on 'Sistas'? Hurry up and go bathe. I'm queuing the last episode."

Brie entered the bathroom and shut the door. Soon, she was turning her face to the stream of the shower head. She closed her eyes and stood there a few moments, willing her headache to go away. She hated how her body reacted when people mentioned her mom. They were right in thinking that it still affected her. Brie would never get over losing her mother. She had woken up that day in colour and by the time she got the call, it drained into gray forever. She never wanted to feel that level of pain ever again. She did have feelings for Deon. If she was honest with herself, they were more intense than whatever she had felt for Kevin, and their relationship had been longer than her and Deon's months-capade. But falling harder for someone always meant losing more if it fell apart. And Brie wasn't going to gamble her emotions on the possibility that things could fall apart with Deon.

"You plan on watching from the shower?" Keke's voice, and her pounding fist, floated through the closed bathroom door.

"Ok! I'm coming." Brie pushed the thoughts out of her mind and washed her skin. Forty minutes later, she and Keke were sprawled on the living room couches, cussing at the TV.

"I don't know why I let you drag me into these foolish shows!"

"Because the more you watch, the more you feel better about your life," replied Keke. She reached her hand out for her drink.

Brie smiled in agreement. The couch under her vibrated. She felt around for her phone, sandwiched near her arm. She glanced at the screen and saw a photo of her father sticking his tongue out.

"Hi, Sando."

"Brie, my brie baby." Her dad's booming voice filled her ear. "How you going?"

"I'm good. How's my favourite man?"

"I doing good, although your uncle owes me $40 from poker last night and he ain't pay up yet."

"Won't you see him at the next weekly poker game?"

"Yeah. But if he think he walking up in here without my money, he in for a shock."

"Did you trouble me just to talk about Uncle Henry?"

"No. I wanted to know about our plans tomorrow."

"We don't have any plans tomorrow, daddy."

"Oh. I thought we did."

"No. I'm working tomorrow." The hairs on Brie's neck stood up in concern. "Is everything ok? Because if you need me..."

"Chile, no. I thought we had plans and I call to find out. That's all. I must've been thinking of something else."

"Yeah, maybe."

They exchanged some more small talk before her father hung up the phone.

"Was that my favourite uncle?"

"Yes, it was."

"What he want?"

"Oh nothing. Just to annoy my spirit."