Chapter 34

Author's note

Dear Readers

Apologies for the delay and short chapter. The lead up to Christmas has been really busy. 

Enjoy the chapter and I'll update soon. 

Speech_error. 

Chapter 34

Lizzie's POV

Lizzie ignored the sun streaming through the windows, as she curled up beneath the covers. She'd barely moved since stumbling down the stairs early this morning in search of breakfast. 

She didn't know why she even bothered, the cereal had tasted stale in her mouth, that she'd left half of it on her plate.

Exhaustion weighed heavily on her, she hadn't been able to commit to sleep, spending most of last night staring at the blank white wall in front of her wondering how she ever got into this position.

Her cheeks were stained with old tears that she hadn't bothered to wipe knowing new ones would only form in its place a few seconds later.

She would never talk to Henry again. The thought spun round in her head as she recalled all the memories with him. Lizzie knew that she was acting like he was dead, but a life with Aiden would only cause more tension between them and between her and Aiden, knowing that he wanted nothing to do with Henry.

Her phone buzzed again, but she ignored it. She'd glanced at it this morning to see Aiden's name appear on the screen, asking if he could take her out for dinner tonight. Lizzie knew it was a nice idea but he was the last person she wanted to see right now.

She didn't want to interact with anyone today, especially since she felt that Henry's words had hit too close to the truth.

Did Aiden really love her?

His excuse that he didn't want a human mate because the danger they'd be in was understandable but it didn't justify his behaviour towards her.

Coupled with the knowledge that he'd purposely burnt down the building with children inside. Did he have any limitations when it came to destroying the Everdale pack.

Nausea churned in her stomach, she couldn't however forget the fact that Henry hadn't denied he'd murdered Jack's sister.

If this is what being part of a pack meant, she didn't want anything to do with it, especially since this rivalry was never going to end until one pack completely destroyed the other.

...

Lizzie attempts to immerse herself in her music as she tidies her room. Henry's words were still etched in her mind but she'd finally been able to pull herself out of bed and attempt to be productive for the remainder of the afternoon.

She'd have to face Aiden tomorrow, but at least for the moment she could think with a clear head. She still needed to process everything especially the fact that she was Aiden's mate. Lizzie wanted to call Kat and ask for more details but she knew that Kat would only pass the phone to Aiden.

Lizzie hoped that being mated to Aiden was the equivalent of being married, and prayed that in the werewolf world it didn't involve having children any time soon. She couldn't stomach the thought of having children just yet.

Lizzie gasps, a hand clutching her heart as a loud thump lands on the balcony outside. She turns slowly to see Aiden staring at her through the French doors. She gulps as she notes the scowl etched on his face.

He turns opening the door and steps into her room.

"After everything that happened yesterday, do you think it's okay for you to ignore my" He pauses as his gaze falls on her puffy eyes and tear stained face.

His features soften into concern as he steps forward ready to embrace Lizzie but she shakes her head, taking a step back.

Sadness flashes across his face, "What's wrong?"

Lizzie ignores the questions "What are you doing here" She whispers, wishing her voice was stronger.

"I needed to check up on you, yesterday was terrifying and overwhelming. I wanted to make sure you were okay?"

Lizzie lowers her eyes, unable to handle Aiden's intense stare which was full of genuine concern.

"I'm fine, I just need some time to think and be alone"

"You've been alone all morning Elizabeth" The use of her full name still sent a shiver down her spine. "And you haven't once picked up the phone for me or Kat, let's talk please"

He goes to approach her but Lizzie holds her hand out, Henry's words echoing in her mind.

"I really think you should just go home" Lizzie says. He keeps his face guarded this time, not revealing any pain that Lizzie's words may have had on him.

Lizzie needed Aiden to leave, her thoughts were still a mess and if he stayed any longer she was going to end up lashing out at him, using the same words Henry had thrown at her last night.

The space between his forehead creases slightly as he approaches Lizzie despite her outstretched hand. He gently clasps it, holding it between their chests.

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me what's going on?"

Lizzie sighs as her body instinctively leans closer to his touch, sparks igniting at the touch of his hand. It would be so simple to blame the way she was acting on what occurred yesterday but she knew that Henry's words ringing in her head like mini fire alarms would not quieten by themselves.

She knew that the fire would only expand until it eventually consumed her and her relationship with Aiden.

"At least give me some space" She asks, finally lifting her head to stare into his cerulean blue eyes. She gestures to the bed behind her.

Knowing this was his only option apart from leaving, Aiden slowly releases her fingers. He continue standing as he walks over to her bed, leaning against the frame that was pushed up against the wall.

With more space between her and Aiden, Lizzie feels that she can breathe again, despite missing the warmth of his fingers against hers.

"I'm here for you, Elizabeth, you can tell me anything" Aiden assures her as Lizzie takes a deep breath and braces herself for the conversation that was about to occur.