41

Forty-One
MASON

I honestly thought my life couldn't get more fucked up. But here I am. Whole world shattering around me. And then my phone goes off and it's like my brother knows I'm in some sort of trouble. I contemplated ignoring him, but he would track me down in seconds.

"Yes?" I answer, not being able to control the shaky breath that passes my lips. Fuck.

"What's happened?" He questions straight away and my eyes sting with tears as I look behind me at mine and Gunner's hotel which is practically smoking. We had to bring Gabriella to the car and drive some distance before the police shows up. Damien has men dotted around the whole perimeter of Vegas, so once we get Delilah, getting out of here will be somewhat difficult.

Delilah.

I clench my eyes shut, praying to the high heavens she's okay, but the last thing I saw was her clutching onto her stomach with a bullet wound.

"Mason!"

"I-I-...Delilah....We.... She's..." A sob passes my mouth. "We've fucked up bad, so bad! I-I can't lose her, Mill. S-She—"

Gunner grabs the phone from my hand.

"Do you know a guy called Damien Pérez?"

While Gunner is taking control of the situation as per usual, a light tap on my arm grabs my attention. I turn my head to Gabriella who looks at me with frightened blue eyes, that are scarily similar to her brother's. Gunner might be putting on a brave face, but for a minuscule second, I saw that facade drop the minute Delilah got trapped in that building with a bullet wound.

"You okay?" I question Gabriella with a tight smile, wiping at my sore eyes.

She signs 'Safe' and I nod my head in confirmation, signing the word back to her. "T-The girl, D-Delilah? W-We go back for her?" She whispers gently, tugging on the corner of my suit jacket, a pleading look on her face.

"We can't right now, Ella." She bites on the inside of her cheeks and averts her fearful eyes to Gunner at the front of the car who sort of looks more relaxed than a few moments ago.

"I-I know something—" Gabriella is cut off by a nuclear-sounding explosion, and for a second the sky illuminates in a fiery orange colour.

My body pulls me out of the car before my mind can comprehend. I trap my trembling lip between my teeth and gawk at what once was a thriving building but is nothing but a tall pile of burning rubble.

"Mason!" I haven't even realised I'm rushing back to the hotel until I hear Gunner shout for me in the distance. I don't stop, if anything my pace quickens. Once I've reached what once was a building I start pulling away at the rubble.

"Delilah!" I exclaim, frantically hoping she's okay... alive. "Come on, baby, you're stronger than this," I mutter to myself, trying to see through the blurry tears in my eyes.

"Mason, come on." Gunner yanks my arm and pulls me away.

"Do you not fucking care?!" His body tenses and he turns to glare at me.

"Don't ever ask me that fucking question again, Mason or I'll kill you my fucking self, do you understand me?" He points a finger in my face and storms back to the car. "Hurry the fuck up before you get us killed with your recklessness like you usually do."

Ouch.

...

"I think this is the longest time you've kept your mouth shut." Miller nudges my shoulder gently with a smile but I don't return the gesture. My eyes stay focused on the wall ahead of me.