Chapter 28: Metanoia✔️

(n) - the journey of changing one's mind, heart, self, or way of life

Pronounced: met-uh-noy-uh

•Winter's pov•

Suffocating.

Suffocating, suffocating, suffocating.

That's what the men in my family, minus Emiliano and Wonder, have been. It's not just happening with Mamá and Nonna, it's happening with me too. The girls and I are getting closer to finding Esio. We've been going on missions to find certain people with certain connections, some more dangerous than others. Ever since we've been going on these missions, my father and brothers, again, minus Lio and Wonder, have been way too overprotective.

They keep on giving me lectures on things I keep doing "wrong" and how "dangerous" these missions are and how I need to be "careful". My response to them every time is a glare and I simply walk away.

I've avoided speaking to the men in my family. Either Mamá or Nonna tells them when I'm going out as I can't deal with all of the lectures and protectiveness right now. To be honest, my brothers and Bampás are honestly just worried. In reality, my cousins have been putting shit in their heads. I only know because I overheard them talking in my father's office. They believe that Bampás has gone soft and instead of letting me do my job, he should take notes from other mafia dons and instead treat me like a damsel who's constantly in distress and can't do shit for herself.

At one point Bampás told them that they were going overboard. That's when my cousins decided to take actions into their own hands and threaten to stop me from going on missions altogether. When it comes to me getting scolded, my brothers and father don't exactly scold me. They just hug and continuously ask me to be careful.

They are aware of the missions the girls and I are going on and they know there's nothing dangerous about them. My cousins on the other hand are very harsh, and although my brothers and father haven't been harsh with their so-called scoldings, they haven't done anything to stop them either.

Anyway, I have more important things to do than tolerate being treated like a 6-year-old. After all the shit I've been through and done, you'd think they'd see that I don't need protection anymore. Apparently not.

As of right now, I'm about to leave the house to go to my Havoc's headquarters. Dressed in blue jeans, an oversized t-shirt, and white sneakers, I grab the keys to my motorcycle as well as my backpack that contains my laptop, AirPods, chargers, and a folder of documents.

 Dressed in blue jeans, an oversized t-shirt, and white sneakers, I grab the keys to my motorcycle as well as my backpack that contains my laptop, AirPods, chargers, and a folder of documents

"They're being so overwhelming tio, I don't understand. Todos os dias são tão cansativos porque eles não sabem como recuar." I say to my Uncle Helios. I've been speaking to him about everything since it started.

(Portuguese - Every day is so fucking tiring because they don't know how to back off.)

"I'll make sure to talk some sense into them when I get over there."