Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Chapter 5
(Luke's POV)

We were back on the road again. Everyone else was still asleep, and Karlie was just sitting there in the passenger seat next to me,looking out the window. I focused on the road and nothing but the road. Or at least I tried to.

"Luke, are we there yet?" Karlie whined. That was the fourth time in only ten minutes.

"No,Karlie,we're not there yet. Shut the fuck up."

"I'll speak if I want to." She sassed back,then turned back to the window. I clenched my teeth. Out of all people,why did I have to be stuck with her?

It was an awkward silence before I finally spoke up. "Thirty minutes."

She looked up. "What?"

"It'll be another thirty minutes. Then we'll be there." I said. She nodded in response and continued to look out the window. I looked at the time. 6:37 a.m.
Just another half hour to go. I continued driving until we reached this little run down diner. There were two cars parked on the outside so you tell there wasn't much business. I mean,how could there be? It's in the middle of nowhere. I parked the van and looked in the back to see that everyone was still asleep. I looked over to where Karlie was sitting and she looked as if she was about to sleep too.

"We're here." I said,as I got out the van.

"I can see that. What about everyone else?"

"What about them?" I replied,smirking. She rolled her eyes and walked into the resturant. I sighed and walked in after her.

The resturant had some sort of 60's theme to it, and despite the cars parked outside, there was no one indoors except for some old lady who looked like she was rotting away into dust slowly. Karlie an I both sat in a booth together,her sitting in front of me. The dinosaur walked over to us.

"May I take your orders?"

I scanned over the menu and stopped automatically when I saw pancakes.

"Pancakes please." I said,giving her the menu. She took it and turned to Karlie. "And you sweetie?"

"Uhh,I'll just have a slice of cherry pie please." Karlie replied,giving her the menu. The waitress,who's name was Bonnie,nodded and retreated to the kitchen. After she left,there was an awkward silence between me and Karlie. We both just sat there,not saying a word,and exchanging glances every now and then. It wasn't until after Bonnie came back and gave us our food that we started talking.

"Here ya go dolls." She said,placing a plate of pancakes in front of me and a plate with a piece of cherry pie with whipped cream on top in front of Karlie. Afterwards,she nodded and walked away.

I took my fork and dove into those pancakes.

(Karlie's POV)

I was just sitting here, taking small bites out of my pie, when I couldn't help but look up at Luke. He was eating those pancakes as if his life depended on it. I smiled a little. It was actually quite....cute. I looked away and took a small bite out of my pie.

I looked back at him again only to see him staring at me,his plate of pancakes already done.

"You not hungry anymore?" He asked.

"Honestly,no." I said,as he nodded. The silence came back, and settled in until a group of guys walked in. They all looked around Luke's age,a few of them older looking. I heard Luke mutter a curse word and before I know it,both of us are under the table.

"Luke, what are you doing? I wanna at least try to finish my pie!" I yelled,only to be shushed.

"Those guys that just walked in,they're from another gang. Trust me when I say this,they mean business. We need to get out of here." He looked over the table slowly,and then came back down."They're sitting on the other side of the resturant. If we can get to the door unnoticed,then we can drive away from here."