A Thing Without a Linguistic Sign

A thing without a linguistic sign

There is a thing without a linguistic sign of which you can speak about in conferences and books. Ms. sings its praises like French in 1876 “Egalite….” But at that level, the thing is not tangible, and that’s the fallacy. In reality, the thing IS very tangible. It is expressed in a transitive verb, and it is best to use as a verb and conjugated it in the first person singular. It is a noun too, with negative connotations, subject and object of life and death and of much discussion in the pulpits. It is concrete and blunt like anihilate, erase, eliminate. However, we don’t name it, as if the sign did not exist. We use euphemisms, like interruption, and other absurdities. At the moment of the procedure some look at their shoes, others browse magazines, someone looks at the cracks in the ceiling. Then, the short conversations “How much is it?” or “Did you come for the ultrasound?”, “This way, please”, “Hang in there, this will be fast”, “You can’t cry now”, “You need to be strong”. We elude naming the thing to separate ourselves from its meaning. The meaning of deciding, of choosing your own life.

Name it: ABORTION.