- It's hard when you're pouting like a pup. – I mocked her again. Her eyes gave me a death stare to which I laughed. – Come here. – I told her with a smile and embraced her in a hug. It took a second, but she warmed into the hug.

She's notoriously smaller than me being 5'6'' and she's roughly three months older than me, but I've always been taller than her, even when we were pups. Although I wouldn't let the size difference fool you, she can knock you off your ass in no time. Nymeria is one of the toughest wolves I know, and she never backs down from a fight.

- How are you? – I asked after letting go of each other. There is a fallen tree trunk, so we decided to take a seat.

- Dull. Father wants me to learn all this new stuff and, frankly, I'm getting tired of it. – she explained.

- We are almost there, just a couple of months more. – I reassured my friend. Nymeria is the future of our pack and it's my job as her left hand to support her in any way possible.

- Ha... – she laughed humorously. – If only that were true. I still need to get married, remember? – she said, almost spitting the words out.

- Oh I'm sure there's someone out there for you. – she rolled her eyes. She can barely stand the idea of marrying, but it's tradition, so if she wishes to become alpha, she must wed. – Seriously now... what's bothering you. – I ask getting the feeling there is something off.

She sighed in frustration. - We've been taught all these things since we were pups and now... - she paused for a second. – It's like he's throwing everything away. – she spoke frustrated. Her hands are balled into fists.

- You know he made the right choice, right? – I said lightly.

- I know, but that doesn't make me feel better. It's just... - she stopped, not finding the words.

- You don't want things to change. – I helped her finish the sentence. – I get it. I feel the same way. – I added looking down at her, our eyes met.

- I just hate this treaty. It's destroying our culture; I feel like all our customs are going to disappear and we'll end up being domestics: weak. And I'll be the alpha that made us weak. – she said defeated. Her eyes now looking at the distance. I thought about what to say before speaking.

- Then make sure we don't. I respect your father you know I do, he's strong and experienced, but it'll be your choice. – she turns to face me; her eyes shining a little.

- We both know that it's a mistake to turn back. – she said her head laying low.

- Hey. – I spoke, grabbing her chin in my hand and raising her head. – I'm with you... and if you decide it's better to stand up and leave then so be it; I'll follow you. – I reassured her firmly.

- Thanks Cal... - she said. Tears began to form in her eyes.

This is a side of Nymeria that no one gets to see. Alphas are supposed to inspire fear, strength, and trust. So, she's continuously acting strong, decisive, and capable, rarely showing any signs of weakness. It flatters me that she allows herself to be like that around me. It reassures me that we'll make the best team. She like the alpha and I like her left hand. I'll always look after her and I'm sure she'll do the same with me.

- It's us against the world, right? – I told her, putting my arm around my friend. I remember the promise we made when we were kids. No matter what, we'd be there for each other.

She smiled warmly. – Us against the world. – she affirmed and wrapped her hand around my torso. – How are you holding on? Liking River Valley? – she asked, changing subjects.