Chapter 45: Melting Ego

"Okay everyone!" Present Mic announced. "We've got three more matches to go. The next one is between Juzo Honenuki from class 1B! He's facing up against Shoto Todoroki from class 1A! Both were admitted to UA with recommendations and have shown strong performance today, though with some side effects. Will the arena turn into a puddle or the arctic sea? Either way, Cementos is going to have work to do when this fight is over!"

"They both have powers with far reaching effects," Aizawa commented, "but both also need to improve the technique and control with which they utilise that power."

Izuku couldn't have put it better himself. Well, maybe, but he would have been ruder. With any luck Todoroki would pay more attention to their teacher. Izuku glanced to the side at a glowing spot in one of the VIP sections of the audience that was the older Todoroki. He was probably scoffing at the suggestion that his son wasn't a perfect hero already. He would see his error eventually; he might not accept it but he would see.

"So are you excited to be in the semi-finals?" Midnight asked the two students.

"Should I be?" Todoroki asked back in a quiet voice, his lack of emotion alone was enough to answer the question. "Is it somehow different from my earlier fights?"

"Well... you are closer to the finale than any time before."

"Isn't that what happens when the tournament goes on? Weaker opponents drop out and the rest get closer to the finale. I'll have time to be excited after I win the finale."

"Well well, aren't you confident. How about you Honenuki? Seems you have recovered from the hit in your last match."

"Yes, we have an excellent school nurse, but she is also humble, unlike my opponent. He seems to forget he isn't the only one aiming to win."

"I can see that," Midnight agreed.

Izuku poked Eijiro's side with his elbow.

"Are you sure you don't need to see Recovery Girl? You'll still have to be in shape for the last fight."

"Nah, I just need to rest a bit and relax my body so I can use my quirk properly again. You didn't hit me that hard."

"I'll have to remember that for next time."

"This is going to be an exciting match," Midnight declared, "so let's get it started!" She quickly ran away from the two, further back than with other battles. "Ready? Start!"

Todoroki immediately launched one of his giant ice attacks. Izuku pressed his lips together to make sure he wouldn't drool. Ice caught up to Honenuki in seconds and he disappeared behind the glacier. Izuku sighed. At least the iceberg wasn't as excessively large as with Todoroki's first fight. The entire arena fell quiet.

"Is it over already?" Kaminari asked. Izuku opened his mouth to answer it in a way that would have highlighted the stupidity of the question. Tenya, having experienced Honenuki first hand, reacted faster.

"No. He can't win this by trapping his opponent."

As he spoke one side of the glacier began drooping and falling like it was melting. Honenuki slid out of the ice just before the whole thing collapsed into an arena wide puddle. Todoroki moved his right leg, probably to launch another attack despite the failure of the first one. His foot got stuck as the spread-out ice resolidified around his leg. He glanced down and kept staring for several seconds, a very long time in the middle of a fight. Izuku shook his head.

"He seems confused," Eijiro commented.

"He isn't used to setbacks. A strong quirk and rich dad can do that, or well, in combination with other things anyway."