Chapter 39: Izuku versus...

As Izuku got his lunch he noticed a nice corner table they often used was free and started heading towards it.

"Izuku," Tenya interrupted him.

"Yeah?"

"I think we need to find a larger table than that."

Izuku looked at the four-person table again and then at the group around him, six people including himself. He smiled.

"I think you are right."

He followed Tenya to a longer table that could have seated half a class. He sat between Tenya and Todoroki opposite Kirishima who already had his mouth full of a juicy steak.

"Mmmmh..." he mumbled and swallowed. "Lunch Rush has really outdone himself today."

"For sure," Hitoshi said after a single bite. He was sitting next to Kirishima.

"Perhaps, but we should still remember all of the relevant table manners as UA students," Tenya commented, glancing at Kirishima who had his mouth full again.

"More importantly we should be careful with how much we eat," Izuku said. "The final tournament is going to start soon, and you don't want to fight on too full of a stomach."

"That makes sense," Tenya agreed. Kirishima on the other hand looked at his already half empty plate.

"Man, I wanted to get seconds. Just looking at all that food is making me drool."

"You'll survive it," Izuku said while cutting his steak. "I keep drooling any time you or Todoroki show off what you can do and have gotten through it so far."

"Eh?" Kirishima looked at Izuku surprised. Todoroki raised his head and Hitoshi smirked.

"I think that came out a bit wrong?" he said just as Izuku started realising what he had said. He suddenly found his own plate very interesting but that did nothing to the embarrassment he was feeling. Still it was out.

"Well, not exactly. It has happened more since coming to UA with people using their quirks constantly. Just looking at them, especially really strong ones, makes me well, hungry. Coming to school is like stepping into a buffet after starving for days."

"So you want to eat Kirishima. Be careful or your teeth might break," Hitoshi said, making Izuku even more embarrassed.

"It's not like that. It's just that... Well I think my quirk makes me attracted to strong quirks like I get hungry when my stomach is empty and I see good food."

"Ha," Dark Shadow said as he emerged from Tokoyami, "I knew you wanted to take me from Fumi."

Izuku tensed as did the others, but Dark Shadow stayed small and nonthreatening next to Tokoyami.

"Good thing you didn't," he continued and most of the tension disappeared.

"That seems logical," Tenya said, "though people are likely to interpret it badly, especially in your case. We shouldn't talk too loudly."

"I know," Izuku whispered and glanced at Kirishima and Todoroki. "Sorry if that sounds disturbing. I would never act on it."

"Eh, we know that, but can a quirk really do something like that, like change how you think?"

"I believe so," Tenya said, "at least there are hypotheses."

"They are more than some hypotheses," Izuku said gratefully distracted from his embarrassment. "It might not be the same for every quirk, but there is a connection between how people behave and what quirks they have, though people don't agree on the exact cause. Like for Kirishima. You take things on head on and don't generally yield or give up. It is the most natural way to use your quirk, but is it because your quirk makes doing that in a fight easy or because it makes you instinctually behave like that?"