CH09-FEELINGS & CONFUSIONS

“Are we clear to move?” Jay pressed on his ear as he spoke while in the car right outside her apartment entrance.

Akshara held her breath as memories of her father passing away started to surface. She had read the letter just once, and she could not get herself to read past the first line every other time she attempted to read it.

“Abhimanyu, why did my dad write me that letter? Did he know someone was after him?”

Abhimanyu looked at the woman who sat next to him trembling with sadness, and his heart wrenched. A woman who looked untouchable was going down the vortex of sorrow.

He slowly pulled her to him even after Jay signalled for them to get out of the car and held her head to his chest, gently hushing her.

“Let’s go back home, and we can talk later.”

When she nodded still holding on to him, he pushed open the door and stepped out taking her with him. Her knees gave in due to her emotions, and he held her, a vice-like grip around her waist.

“Secure the extended perimeter. We’ll be here for a while.” Abhimanyu leaned closer to Jay as he spoke, so she didn’t hear, and his trusted man nodded in response.

They walked as a group, Jay leading Abhimanyu and Akshara as five other uniformed men formed a security pocket. She wasn’t aware of the threat level until she stepped out of the house.

Did Abhimanyu always have this level of security detail?

She clung to him, her eyes downcast as they rode up to the twentieth floor to her apartment. She lived in a modern, highly-secured apartment, and there was only one other family living on the same level as her. She thought about the family and wondered if they even noticed she had been missing.

Why would they?

She was never the friendly neighbour who stopped and said hello to them or their kids. She told herself when she was out of the woods with whatever was out there that was a threat; she was going to make amends in her life. She was going to make time to meet friends and spend time with people outside of her workplace.

She tightened her hold on Abhimanyu and wondered if he would still be in touch with her when all of this was over.

She wanted him in her life as a friend, a protector, and maybe even her saviour.

“I can’t read the letter again, Abhimanyu.”

“Okay, you don’t have to. You just need to give it to me.” He comforted her, a weird uneasiness enveloping him.

Why was he reacting to her sadness? Did it remind him of his loss?

Abhimanyu didn’t take his father’s passing away easily but didn’t share it with anyone either. Neil was a mess after their father passed away, and he spent more time consoling his little brother.