CH04- ESCAPING AGAIN

“What the heck do you think you’re doing? Let me go.” She was scared but refused to cave in, but he didn’t respond. Instead, he dropped her on the bed and looked down at her, his eyes darkening.

“Will you pay the ransom or start talking?” he growled.

“No. No, I can’t… I don’t know anything…” Her tone wavered, and he moved closer to her, his fingers wrapping around her ankle to keep her from moving away from him, but she kicked with her free foot.

He grabbed her other ankle and pulled them together and pinned her heels to the mattress with one hand as he slowly moved closer.

She punched in the air with her bound fists unable to keep him away from her. Nothing seemed to faze the man who was looking at her like he was going to take everything he could, and Akshara stopped screaming madly and screamed at the top of her lungs, “Abhimanyu.”

That stopped him from coming on to her. “Yes, Ms Kaira.”

She noticed how he called her Kaira and not Akshara. Did he know it annoyed her when people called her a Kaira making her name sound like kheera , especially with the tone he used ?

“Abhimanyu, I can’t give you what you want. Please let me go.” Her voice shook even though she tried hard to keep it firm. He sat back on the mattress looking at her, his eyes droopy.

“My ransom?” His voice was soft, but it sent chills through her.

Akshara sat up and moved a few inches away from him trying to figure out what to say next, and as if her tongue had a mind of its own, she blurted, “I’m gay.”

There was clear surprise in his eyes, but his eyes only faltered for a second, and it helped Akshara recover from her blatant lie. She was surprised and had no idea why she said what she said, but she recovered quickly and repeated what she said as if to reinstate that fact.

He looked at her for a long moment and shrugged. “You’re still a woman.”

“No. No. You don’t understand… it’s not the same. I can’t give you what you want. Please let me go.”

“No.”

“Why me?” she asked softly. “I don’t know anything… you have the wrong person.”

He stood up without another word and walked back into the closet and came out after a few minutes wearing a t-shirt and a pair of lounge pants. She sat in the same spot on the mattress as he moved around the room putting his laptop and phone on the desk to one side.

“Sleep.”

“I want to go back to the room upstairs.”

Abhimanyu turned off the light, and she jerked with awareness when the mattress dipped from his weight. She was thankful for the extra wide bed and moved away from his side. She could not think of sleeping when she had so much going on in her mind. She had no idea about her situation and was not sure what her fate would be but knew it was left up to the man who lay only a foot away from her.