Chapter One ; Betrayal and an Unlikely Hero

Percy Jackson could not recall the events that happened before this, but now he was on his back, staring up at the sky and first it was peaceful. He almost forgot he was in a war. Then his head began to pound and the pain in his back and ribs suddenly hit him. He winced and moved his head to glance around.

He saw he was in a deserted part of the city and the battlefield seemed quiet. Too quiet. He rolled over and pushed himself to his feet, clenching his teeth and groaning as his whole body ached. He checked his pocket and smiled slightly, Riptide was there. Pulling out the pen and uncapping it, the son of Poseidon carefully began limping forward, keeping his sword up and in front of him, prepared for any attacker that may jump at him.

He limped down the sidewalk and around some buildings. Looking up, he saw the empire state building was close. He could hear faint sounds of battle now. Good, they were still in this. They could still win. His hopes seemed to raise as well, a spark of determination in his eyes now.

But, when he rounded the next corner, that spark died. His blood ran cold, he paled and his stomach dropped. His sword clattered to his sword. Annabeth laid in a seemingly lifeless heap just in the middle of the street, blood trickling down from her lips and her leg was clearly broken. Percy walked slowly toward her body, tears welling up in his eyes.

"Annabeth..." he whispered, voice broken and pleading. He fell to his knees beside her and stared down at her, vision blurred from tears. He felt the warm tears find there way down his face and they created clean streaks down his dirty face.

He brought her head into his lap, pushing her hair from her face and trying his best not to cry out. The distraught boy wrapped his arms around her, hugging her body close to him and rocking back and forth, sobbing now.

After what seemed like forever, he felt his throat stinging and his eyes burned from crying. He trembled, quieting and just sitting there, hugging Annabeth and refusing to let go. Now he could barely even hear the battle.

When he felt all hope was lost and felt no energy to return to battle, he heard a spluttering cough, and a gasp for air. His eyes widened and he quickly let go of Annabeth. His arms still around her, but just not holding her right to him.

The blonde girl's eyes shot open. She began breathing wheezy, shallow breaths and gripped the closest thing to her, Percy's hand. Tears welled in her eyes, but she smiled up at him despite trying to hold back her grimace of pain.

"Hey, Seaweed Brain..." she whispered, her voice hoarse and very quiet. "Did you really think I'd leave you?" She reached up and wiped his tears away as he smile down at her.

"Annabeth... I-I thought I lost you," he murmured, over joyed she was alive. The spark in eyes returned, he had new found strength. He brought her back into a hug, feeling her arms around him, but also hearing her whimpers of pain as her broken leg shifted. Percy quickly, yet gently, let go, eyes wide. "I'm so sorry!"

"It's fine..." Annabeth said, waving her hand. "Could you help me up and to where the others are? I can't do much until this is tended to by an Apollo camper."

Percy nodded, "Of course... Wise Girl." He smiled and slowly stood, while picking up Annabeth at the same time, carrying her bridal style in his arms. She wrapped his arms around his neck and rested her head on his shoulder, letting out another small whimper of pain.

Percy frowned slightly, hating see Annabeth in pain.

Soon, they came back to the battle in front of the Empire State Building and what they saw was expected. Expect one thing, Luke/Kronos was no where to be found. Percy rushed over to Will and set Annabeth on the makeshift cot, "Will, where the hell is Kronos?!"