34. Alex

"Alex, can you tie my hair up for me?" Ashley said as she stood there in the middle of the crowd with her hands carrying the shopping bags. I rolled my eyes as I smoothed her hair back swiftly and she smiled like a kid. I couldn't help but smile back, pulling a rubber band off of my own wrist. She made me carry one extra every day and I didn't mind it.

"Let's get something to eat Ashley, I am sure you are all done with your shopping." I said as I secured her ponytail. She nodded her head gently and I carried half the bags. "I wasn't the only one who bought stuff, you did too. And why did you have to buy such an expensive thing, I don't even know what it is?"

"It's a gift for Elena, you'll see. Also You too bought some very expensive jewellery for yourself, I didn't once question you." I said and she passed me a side eye. As we walked towards the restaurant a few steps ahead, she hummed a song. It was usual now, before we left for the wedding, she convinced me to go shopping since she had nothing to wear on her best friend's wedding.

We'd leave the next morning, as a couple finally. But I still hadn't confronted her and I didn't have the chance to. I was afraid I'd ruin it. Whatever it was, it was holding me back. On the back of my head I was afraid I'd hurt her and I didn't want to risk it. How do I start? I thought lost in my thoughts. And that was when I bumped into someone.

I came out of my trance looking at the stranger. He was way too familiar for me. I frowned. "I am sorry." I muttered. His young eyes and height almost as same as mine. His hair was black, tanned skin. I gulped. He smiled, the same freaking smile. "I am sorry too dude. I hope I didn't hurt you or your girl.." his words faded.

"Ashley?" He beamed with realisation and my eyes scanned his face. I gulped again as flashbacks started hitting me. He was the same man who was with her on the cafe that day, almost three years ago. I remember him, the smile and everything. I pursed my lips looking back at Ashley who was surprised but smiling. She handed me the bags and plunged forward hugging him.

"It's been a long time Harry, how have you been?" She said and I was no longer present. I couldn't stop hearing her words in my head.
"I am doing absolutely fine, I was buying cupcakes for Gene, we came to visit her parents. She is pregnant by the way." He said.

Ashley nodded with an imprinted smile. "I know I see her posts. You guys are so lucky to be having your second child together. Well I also have something to tell you, meet Alex. We're together." She smiled and pulled my hand.

I stared at him and back at her. I heard every single word they said but I couldn't stop myself from thinking about the past. "This is him, the same Alex." She kissed my shoulder and I smiled awkwardly. I didn't want to react to the turmoil building inside me.

"The "fuck Alex" one." He quoted the exact words that I resented and I felt tears stinging my eyes. They both laughed but I didn't hear anything else than that. I smiled still, knowing I couldn't lose my cool. I wouldn't want to hurt her or make this weird in front of her friend.

Harry looked at me and then at Ashley. "I'd see you back in Seattle Ashley, have fun. We have to catch up as a double date later. I have to go, Gene is waiting." He smiled and held my hand shaking it lightly before he walked off. My eyes turned back to Ashley. She was still smiling. I smiled gently, it was hard to hold it but I did.

"Are you okay honey?" She asked me giving a little frown. I nodded blankly.
"Let's eat something and head home, I feel drained for some reason." I stepped ahead and entered the restaurant.
.
.
.
.
"Alex what's wrong?" Ashley asked for the Nth time as we entered our room. I finally heaved a sigh.
"It's nothing. I am having a head..."
She pulled the shopping bags and threw them over the bed as she pulled me towards her.