22. Alex

I heard laughter echoing in the kitchen and I instantly made my way inside. I wasn't excepting what I saw. Ashley and Elena were laughing on top of their lungs with each other. I didn't know what was shocking. If it was that they were back to normal or their bruised faces? Elena had a black eye while Ashley had a bruised lip and her whole cheek was bruised. I inhaled a sharp breath.

I knew they would sort it out one way or other but I didn't except it so soon. I turned my head to look at Grandma who was standing there smiling at the girls from eye to eye as she sipped her wine. I sighed as I felt someone grab my hand. I recognised the touch of that small hand on mine. I looked down and saw Ash, I smiled at her. I lifted her up in my arms.

"Oh Alex, you're here. Ashley brought your favourite cupcakes on her way back." Grandma exclaimed and my eyes shifted to Ashley. She smiled at me, her eyes twinkling with happiness. I hadn't seen that smile in a long time. I could see the playful glee in them. I smiled back at her.

"All sorted girls?" I picked up a cupcake and offered it to Ash but Elena warned me.
"Don't feed her, she had two already." She smacked my hand and then she looked at Ashley. "Well your husband, I mean boyfriend was the one who suggested that I'd have a boxing match with you. The complaints you have been making about the bruises are his fault."

I rolled my eyes. "Who knew you were seriously going to beat the shit out of each other." I tell her as I walked next to Ashley and kissed her head. Little Ash wanted me to put her down so I did. Ashley looked up at me. "When are we leaving?" She asked.

"The day after?" I raised a brow and she just nodded her head.
"Me and Elena are going out tonight, we'd be back the morning after. I will pack everything before we leave." She said and my heart almost stopped. Confusion filled me.

"But- so sudden and what about Ash?" I ask, quite worried about the plans they were making.

"You.. are going to look after Ash. She is happy to be with her favourite uncle." Elena smiled and I raised a brow at her before my eyes met grandma who was still smiling.
"Well we can go on a picnic too if you don't mind handsome.." she winked and I laughed.

"Okay. But.."

"No buts Alex, the decision is made. Me and Ashley are going to spend some time together to catch up with all the tea we have of each other. A lot of explaining to be done, a lot of things to confess and clarify. Now be a good brother and a boyfriend." Elena exclaimed excitedly.

I sighed as my eyes landed on Ashley who was giggling as Elena did a little happy dance in the kitchen. Well, if it was already decided, what did I have to say about it. I didn't have a choice either.
.
.
.

I walked inside my room, and I noticed the bags all packed at one side. I sighed. I wasn't feeling any better. I looked at Ashley who had just stepped out of the bathroom. She was dressed up just like she normally would. I walked to her. I pulled her towards me. There was something inside of me that wanted me to stop her from going. I didn't know why, her leaving abruptly didn't sit right with me.

She gasped lightly staring up at my face. My hand travelled to her lip as I brushed the bruise with my thumb. She smiled lightly. "That's romantic but it doesn't sit right with you Alex." She said giving me a gentle push but I didn't budge. I kept staring at her lip for a few seconds. I didn't know what I wanted to say to her but I did want to say something to her.

"Alex, is something wrong?" She asked under her breath.

"Probably." I muttered and shifted my eyes to hers. They were twinkling like any other time. "I feel uneasy somehow. This trip of yours. Take care okay?" I said and she just smiled.