Chapter 11

Those from the future tried to forget about the locket and the next few days continued in much the same way. Sleepovers, late nights, long days cleaning, trying to keep spirits up as they heard nothing more about their plan to get back.

Then finally one night, about 6 days after they had arrived during dinner, when everyone, past and future, were gathered around the dining table, Mad Eye clunked in with a bag. The conversation ceased almost instantly, as he began speaking.

"The time turner's in here. Called in a favour from one of the unspeakables and obliviated him after that. You should leave by tomorrow, meaning you have one day to say your goodbyes and obliviate us,"

Mad Eye put the bag down on the table before helping himself to dinner while chaos erupted around him. Needless to say, no one slept that night. They stayed in the kitchen, talking, remembering, and telling stories.

Remus and Sirius told Teddy and Harry more about the Marauders and their many exploits, Tonks talked to Victoire about Teddy, trying to learn as much as she could before it was all erased. Rose and Hermione were discussing who knows what in a corner, but both were talking extremely fast and it was a wonder they understood each other. Fred, George James, and Fred (II) were huddled around exchanging prank advice.

Every single person had been in tears at least once when morning finally arrived. Once the kitchen had started to be bathed in the sunlight of the early hours, Teddy turned to his parents for the last time. "I... I don't know what to say to you guys. I never thought I would get to meet you, but I have, and it's been more wonderful than I could have ever imagined. I can't believe I have to-" his voice cracked and tears welled up in his eyes. "to say goodbye. Now that I've met you, how am I going to live without you?"

Tonks gathered him in her arms and held him tight. She too had tears rolling down her cheeks as she said, "I love you so much, my son, and I've only known you for a few days. I know you're going to get through this because you're strong, and you will always have Victoire's support. I love you so so much, thank you for coming into our lives." She stepped back from him and her smile was both proud and sad at the same time.

Remus was next. "I love you Teddy, you'll always make me proud. And we'll be watching over you, I promise. You're never going to be alone." After one final hug to both his parents Teddy turned to the rest of them, letting Victoire take over. She and Rose began obliviating while Teddy kept his eyes on Remus and Tonks, until it was their turn.

Tonks kissed him on the cheek and gave him one final hug before nodding to Rose.

"I love you, son," said Remus quietly, before his eyes closed. Teddy let a few tears leak out of his eyes as he watched his father slump on the table.

When they were finished, all that remained was to take the time turner and tell Mad Eye they were ready to go. They had decided to apparate there because it was much faster and Mad Eye could help if anything went wrong. Victoire entwined her hand with Teddy's and made sure he was ok before their group disappeared with a loud 'pop'.

They reappeared in the entrance hall of Potter manor. After doing one final check around the house to make sure they hadn't left anything behind and that the rooms were all back to what they had been before, they all gathered in the hall.

The next bit was tricky, they had to obliviate Mad Eye in a very specific way to ensure he would only remember he would need to put the time turner back, but also ensure they had enough time to turn the time turner. Rose cast the spell to make the time turner turn back years and they huddled around it.

Victoire gathered her concentration before nodding to Teddy. He began turning the time turner, before dropping it gently as she quickly hit Mad Eye with the spell just as the world turned into a spinning blur. 

The group reappeared at Potter manor, luckily without the time turner. They all stared at each other for a while.

"So, that was quite an adventure, huh?" James broke the silence first.

"That's one way of putting it," agreed Lily. "But honestly, I'm glad we had that adventure, it really opened my eyes to a lot of things and we got to meet everyone we've never seen."

At that everyone turned to Teddy. "I'm ok, guys. I just need a bit of time. I mean, I saw my parents! For the first and last time! I'll get used to it eventually, but I'm really glad we got to go back, even if we broke a lot of rules in the process."

With that said, they all drifted back to their own smaller groups, though Fred and James stayed firmly in the living room. Pandora and Lily were a lot closer, Fred had gotten to meet his namesake, Teddy had hugged his parents, and they had a new way to communicate between themselves with the devices they had created!

So when the adults returned and asked them about their evening, Teddy smiled around the room and said truthfully, "We had a great time."

The end