Chapter 3

There was another long silence before everyone started speaking at once. Scorpius suddenly shouted, "Stop it! Yes we are in the middle of a war! Yes we have no clear way to get back home! Yes, many more people will be alive now! But that does not mean we have to act like animals!" Everyone quietened down immediately; Scorpius never yelled so when he did, people listened. "Now we have to figure out what to do, with NO screaming. I say we make use of the library to find a way home. The Potter's are a super old family so I'm sure they'll have books on time travel. Meanwhile, we have to get food from somewhere so we don't starve to death. I think we should try to not make contact with anyone so we are less likely to disrupt the timeline." When nobody said anything he hastily added, "You can talk now!"

"Alright Scorp I think that's a good plan." Rose ignored the snide remark from James. "Of course you do. He's your boyfriend." "But I think we need a way to keep in contact and to let the others know if we are in danger. Because this is the war, it's important to have ways to escape. I think most of us know how to apparate except for Lily, Hugo and Pandora. It's too risky to teach them now, if anyone gets splinched we can't get help so we have to do without it. But I think they can still do magic because we technically aren't born yet so our wands shouldn't be linked to the Ministry. Anyway, maybe Vic and I can work on the devices tomorrow?" Victoire nodded in agreement.

"Ok thanks sis. And how are we gonna sleep? Are there still the same number of rooms?" asked Hugo.

"Actually there are more rooms than in our time. I remember Ginny and Harry telling me they removed an entire section of the house to make room for the pool. So that means we can sleep separately or together whichever you feel more comfortable with. Vic and I will sleep together of course."

"Yeah, in more ways than one!" snickered James as Fred burst out laughing.

"Oh shut up James! You are so immature! Anyway, Scorp and I will be sleeping in the same room," said Rose firmly, looking Teddy in the eyes. Technically they were adults so Teddy couldn't exactly force them to sleep apart.

"I.. Oh alright. But please, please don't do anything that could get me in trouble ok?" he pleaded. Ron would murder him if Rose got pregnant or anything like that. She smiled sweetly at him.

"Of course not Teddy, we would never even think of such a thing!" said Rose. Hugo rolled his eyes.

"As if!" But he shut up when Rose poked him. "Ok fine! Sorry. Anyway, I'll sleep on my own."

"Me too," said Albus

"Fred and I will share a room!" James exclaimed excitedly, eager to think of new pranks and ideas despite being in an entirely different timeline.

"Lils? Will you and Pandora share a room?" asked Vic gently. Pandora mutely nodded, still holding tight to Lily's arm.

"Ok, let's go then, we have to clean the rooms before sleeping in them," said Rose, gently leading Pandora and Lily behind her. She led them up to the room next to the one she had picked out for her and Scorp. Entering, she waved her wand to clean the room, watching the dust disappear with satisfaction. Then she changed the plain white bedspread to a floral printed one and the rooms of the walls to a calming light blue.

"Thanks," Lily said, not looking at Rose. Rose smiled sadly and closed the door, leaving them alone. They transformed their clothes into pyjamas, turned off the light and climbed into bed. Pandora wrapped one leg around Lily and Lily put her arm around Pandora. This was one of their favourite positions to cuddle in because it made both of them feel safe, something they really needed after witnessing what they had. For a while neither said anything until Lily's tears began to wet the pillowcase. Pandora sat up, tears in her eyes too as she helped Lily lie on her lap.

"I'm sorry, it's just... I've never seen anything like that before! I mean, we've heard stories and stuff but it's never been real, you know, more like a fairy tale, a story. But now! Now we're HERE! We're in the middle of an actual war! And I hate it. At first I thought it was just an adventure, we would be safe, like we usually are in James' pranks, but this is really a life-and-death situation! I don't know if we'll ever get back home!" she sobbed hysterically, breathing heavily. Pandora stroked Lily's hair gently.

"I know Lily flower, I feel the exact same way. I can still remember exactly what happened and when I was sitting downstairs, I kept replaying everything! It's horrible! But, I know that our parents survived it at the same age as us. They even formed a resistance group and they fought back. They fought so people would believe them. If they could do that, we can accept this situation and just work as hard as we can to get back! Besides, we'll definitely score well in history now!" she joked, trying to lighten the mood. It worked and Lily gave a weak chuckle.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. Thanks love," said Lily gratefully, then froze, realising what she had said.

"You...love me?" asked Pandora in shock. Lily pondered over her answer.

"Yes. I do love you. I think I have for a while. Maybe it just took something drastic to make me realise it." She smiled, a real smile now. Pandora smiled back.

"I love you too. I have for a while, I was just too scared to say anything in case you didn't say it back." Pandora leaned forward, kissing Lily.

They lay next to each other, taking comfort simply from the presence of the other. Their hands were linked under the covers and they fell asleep like that, their breathing in sync.

It would take a long time to forget what had happened but at least they were closer now and could heal and recover together.

In the next room, Rose and Scorpius had also cuddled together under the covers and were soon sleeping peacefully. All of a sudden, in the middle of the night Rose started screaming from a nightmare. Her thrashing woke Scorpius who immediately cast a silencing charm on the room and locked it. He had dealt with her nightmares before and knew that anyone coming in would only make everything worse. Then he slowly put one hand on her shoulder and began stroking her hair and whispering soothingly to her. Finally, she began to calm down and her eyes opened. She cuddled into his chest, tears streaming down her face. She had had nightmares like this in Hogwarts, right after learning about her mother's torture at Bellatrix's hands and a few other particularly brutal moments in the war. Coming back in time had probably triggered those memories again. But Scorpius kept a soothing hand on her back and eventually she managed to fall back asleep, knowing that she would always have someone supporting her.