Into the Darkness

Blurb and Author's note:

After his family has been taken away from him, Cody finds himself out on the streets running for his life and trying to slip from the cruel claws of the Inquisition.

His only chance of survival is his newfound magic.

But to use it, he will have to find the courage to face the unknown darkness.

_____

This is a side story to my novel The Light in the Darkness (but it can be easily read as a standalone). _____

Amazing cover made by talented @lavendareyes (check out her graphic shop for more!)

____

Cody was standing among the crowd, but he was alone. He watched helplessly as a stiff loop of rope was fastened around a woman's neck. He wanted to look away, but he couldn't. His mind screamed to turn away and run and never, ever look back. But he stood there, frozen in place, unable to lift his finger. It didn't make sense.

The whole world stopped making sense.

All he managed to do was close his eyes.

But he couldn't shut off his ears.

A dull thud sounded when the wooden trapdoor opened, and then a sharp snap as the rope stretched to hold the body's weight. The crowd gasped collectively, but no one moved, watching a gruesome spectacle with a sick curiosity.

"There he is!" the cold voice yelled. "Seize him! Seize the boy!"

Cody gasped and sat up, not entirely sure where he was. The sky was still dark, and he was freezing. His whole body trembled as he rubbed his eyes.

A nightmare. Just a nightmare.

He crawled out from under the dirty rugs in the corner of the small alley. He put a hand on the stone wall, but it was cold now. He chose this spot because it was a tavern. A kitchen was on the other side, giving off enough heat to keep him warm through the night. However, it seemed they put down all the hearths.

He shivered and looked at his small hands. His nails had already started turning blue. Cody clenched his chattering teeth and put his hands under his arms to warm them up a bit. He crept towards the alley opening, the heart thumping in his chest. The boy knew he needed to warm himself up if he wanted to live.

But if they found him here, he would be dead as well.

Cody carefully peeked out of the alley. The cobblestone streets seemed empty. It was still too early for people to start work, so the only sounds were dripping water in the distance and the crackling of the lone torch, bravely chasing away the darkness. He bit his lip and looked around once again.

There was no sign of armoured men.

He tiptoed slowly closer to the torch and outstretched his arm towards it. At first, nothing happened, but then, after a moment, the flame flickered as if invisible wind tried to snuff it out. The fire dimmed and almost disappeared, and the boy's hand lit up with a brilliant white light.

Cody quickly closed his fist, absorbing the radiance right away, forcing the warmth to course through his body. He sighed, relieved when he finally stopped trembling and he no longer felt cold. The light was pulsing steadily in his veins, keeping him cosy.